AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I'm not sure if this is the correct location for this thread...if not of course admins please relocate and my apologies.

Over the last 5 or 6 years I've really taking a serious interest in overseas crime dramas and they comprise the majority of my viewing. I've watched most everything I can find such as The Killing (original), The Fall, Broadchurch, Trapped, Follow the Money season 1, Apple Tree Yard, Shetland, etc, etc ....

I've seemingly ran out of series to investigate.... Does anyone else share a love of the overseas "take" on crime dramas and have a favorite or 3 they can mention and if so where you've found the content.

thanks!

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I guess you've run through "Life on Mars" and "Ashes to Ashes"?

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Dicte, a Danish crime drama that was well liked in my household, we watched it on Netflix.
Bordertown, a Finish crime drama, also liked and on Netflix.
Hinterland, a Welch?? crime drama also on Netflix and well liked.
Wallander, British on NF.
Happy Valley, British on NF.
Witnesses French on NF.

We also like foreign(mostly European) crime dramas :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I found the selection at MHz Choice quite inviting. I've watched and enjoyed French shows like Spiral (my favorite), Braquo and Antigone 34 and Scandinavian ones like Look of a Killer, Torpedo and Force. For somewhat lighter fare check out Homicide Unit: Istanbul, in German with subtitles, with a star who looks like he would be a Roger Moore version of James Bond with a sidekick who made me think of a sour, neurotic Peewee Herman.

Acorn TV has British shows I have enjoyed, too, like Loch Ness and Single Handed.

Both are available directly or as channels via Amazon Prime.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Wallander, Swedish and British

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I agree with the suggestion of AcornTV. While I don't have it a Brit friend does and is always telling me about the many great British programmes available. When I last looked it was only $5/month and if I were looking for more British programming than Netflix or PBS I'd probably sign up.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Inspector Morse, its sequel Lewis, and even better the prequel Endeavour. Kinda must watch, although Morse doesn't get great until about the 4th season.

Haven't seen Lilyhammer (Netflix) mentioned. Good if you want a laugh. Also Fortitude (on Amazon).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Me, again. If the OP is willing to go as far from Scandinavia as Romania there are Umbre (Hulu) and Comrade Detective (Netflix), although it helps to know that the latter is a US parody of what a Communist-era buddy cop series would have been like. For more leads and reviews, check out:

netflixtvshowsreview.com (more than Netflix, actually)

theeurotvplace.com

thebritishtvplace.com

britbox.com

and Walter Presents (channel4.com/collection/walter-presents)

(Post-post edit: If you have not watched the Luther (PBS and Hulu, I think) series I recommend it highly.)

(Post-post edit 2: If Australia appeals to you I recommend the Underbelly series. For free stuff, including at least some of the Underbelly shows, check out Tubi TV.)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I agree with the above suggestions I just finished The Five (UK), also Paranoid (UK) also Sniffer (Russia/Ukraine). The one thing I like about Netflix vs Amazon is once you start watching the offerings from Europe the new listings will appear in your recommendations.
Oops I forgot Jack Taylor.

·
Premium Member
36,188 Posts
How's the picture quality on Acorn TV? I've used Walter Presents and it's usually very good but I've not used Acorn yet. My access would be through Amazon Channels.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wow thank you all for the recommendations! Looks like Ive got some work to do.

Glad to see a lot are available on NF and Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
I find the PQ on Acorn TV to be very good.

I thought Broadchurch season one was one of the best series I've ever seen.

I highly recommend:
"Remember Me" with Michael Palin
"Chasing Shadows"
"Winter"
"The Level"

On the lighter, fun and entertaining side:
"Kingdom" with Stephen Fry
"Agatha Raisin"

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I find the PQ on Acorn TV to be very good.

On the lighter, fun and entertaining side:

"Agatha Raisin"
I also like Agatha Raisin(British) and like Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries(Australian) which I mainly watch for the female leads(and picture quality) easy on the eyes :eek:
Glad you like the PQ on Acorn, it's amazing the PQ on Netflix, often better than even OTA HD, streaming sure seems the way to go!

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
I've been noticing a dearth of licensing of UK and EU dramas on either Netflix or Hulu. Both of those used to get foreign shows regularly. And I don't think Acorn got dibs on the UK ones. Netflix did just add "People Just Do Nothing" fourth season, a comedy which won't be for everybody but it's about a bunch of crazy young folks trying to run a pirate FM station in the age of podcasting ("why bother" you ask). But still waiting for more crime dramas.

·
Premium Member
36,188 Posts
I watched the first two episodes of Rebecka Martinsson and while the picture detail was very good, left and right panning had some judder. I suspect it was due to being transferred from a 50 Hz original. I was hoping for somewhat better quality than that. It didn't detract from the story though, I enjoyed the first story and will watch the rest.

·
Premium Member
36,188 Posts
I've been noticing a dearth of licensing of UK and EU dramas on either Netflix or Hulu. Both of those used to get foreign shows regularly. And I don't think Acorn got dibs on the UK ones. Netflix did just add "People Just Do Nothing" fourth season, a comedy which won't be for everybody but it's about a bunch of crazy young folks trying to run a pirate FM station in the age of podcasting ("why bother" you ask). But still waiting for more crime dramas.
If you look through this page you can see how scattered the rights are for UK and EU shows, almost no rhyme or reason as to who has what. Content from different countries is spread all over the various services, if you want to see most or all of the available content from France, for example, you'll have to subscribe to several different services, very annoying.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I watched the first two episodes of Rebecka Martinsson and while the picture detail was very good, left and right panning had some judder. I suspect it was due to being transferred from a 50 Hz original. I was hoping for somewhat better quality than that. It didn't detract from the story though, I enjoyed the first story and will watch the rest.

I know some will balk at the thought but the current Apple TV plays 50hz content at the correct frame rate.

·
Premium Member
36,188 Posts
I know some will balk at the thought but the current Apple TV plays 50hz content at the correct frame rate.
So does the equipment I'm using which makes me think the actual transfer is faulty. I've seen this several times with MHz DVD releases of UK/EU content, simply very poor transfers. And amazingly they charge an arm and a leg for them too!

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
Inspector Morse, its sequel Lewis, and even better the prequel Endeavour. Kinda must watch, although Morse doesn't get great until about the 4th season.
Thank you for the excellent suggestion. We had watched "Lewis" but didn't know about "Endeavour." Enjoying it very much on disc from Netflix.
Michael

1 - 20 of 364 Posts