AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yeah, that's a new one for me too. No even TV Tropes has that term.
There is a two-year time gap in the storyline from Season 2 to Season 3. Not sure if that qualifies it for that term. Otherwise, wouldn't every follow on season of any series be a 'sequel season'?

·
Registered
303 Posts
We just finished season 1 of New Zealand's The Brokenwood Mysteries and really enjoyed it. It has likeable characters and intricate cases without the darkness and disturbing aspects of many of today's murder mysteries.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Finished up Netflix's The Mess You Leave Behind the other night, and while I enjoyed most of it, the ending fell short. It left a couple of things unanswered and lead me to guess where this was going only to go in a direction I wasn't fully expecting.

I was thinking this was going to be drug related, which it wasn't. They didn't explain the money Raquel found behind Viruca's canoe, and how on a teachers salary she was driving a Mercedes Benz. In part, that's why I was going with the drug angle. That, and the attention paid to drugs was a running theme.

·
Premium Member
35,556 Posts
Finished up Netflix's The Mess You Leave Behind the other night, and while I enjoyed most of it, the ending fell short. It left a couple of things unanswered and lead me to guess where this was going only to go in a direction I wasn't fully expecting.

I was thinking this was going to be drug related, which it wasn't. They didn't explain the money Raquel found behind Viruca's canoe, and how on a teachers salary she was driving a Mercedes Benz. In part, that's why I was going with the drug angle. That, and the attention paid to drugs was a running theme.
Yes, the ending was a bit rocky.
I think Viruca and her husband were somewhat wealthy but fell on hard times. The money behind the canoe was from her scamming German and whoever it was she got it from, they all had dinner at the family restaurant to consummate the deal. She facilitated getting the money German and his brother needed to keep the restaurant open but Viruca kept the money. I thought it was about drugs too and that reveal surprised me.

I do think the show was one of the best presentations of "then and now" flashbacks, very seamlessly done.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I highly recommend Ms. Fisher's Modern Mysteries (Acorn TV), The Brokenwood Mysteries (Acorn TV), The Mallorca Files (BritBox, Amazon Prime), and Death in Paradise (BritBox, Amazon Prime). All are extremely enjoyable.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Last night we watched Young Wallander, a new series on Netflix. Not sure what to think about it, it's in English which is kind of odd for a series supposed to be taking place in Stockholm(Sweden) but as I've somewhat complained about subtitles in the past I guess I can't say much, it's not dubbed but rather English speaking actors. We've watched 2 episodes so far but I can say one thing for sure, it's not nearly as good as either the other 2 Wallander series we've watched.......time will tell.
A decent series but I couldn't get past Adam Palsson's voice. It was way too soft and timid sounding. I wanted more of a badass in that role but I didn't get the feeling that he could kick anyone's butt. I haven't watched the Wallander series so maybe that's how he is meant to be portrayed.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Just finished Wisting on AMC+ (may be on other services, I had not heard of it). Very good Scandi-Noir drama.
It is labeled as a Sundance NOW exclusive, which would make it part of the AMC+ service. But, it is also available on Acorn TV service.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As I am waiting on Spiral Season 8 (the last, sniff...) I am watching "Rocco Schiavone: Ice Cold Murders". Season 1 is on Prime until January 31 but 1 and 2 are also available on PBS Masterpiece. Rocco is exiled to Alpine Acosta from sunny Rome for over-zealous policing and the climate (and Rocco) take some getting used to. I had my doubts about him until an explanatory scene at the end of the second part of the first episode (all are two-parters) but I am OK with him now.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Can anyone recommend shows similar to 'Crossing Lines'? I saw it on Netflix a while back.

Its about a team of investigators from different countries, its set in Europe in a variety of locations. Looking for similar shows that go all over Europe etc with the same feel.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Parfume (Perfume) Beautiful shot in UHD HDR .
The twisted character study of the cast is profound . There reality and truthfulness is gripping addicting and pulls you in to the darkness of the story . Perfume sadistic Neo-Noir horror thriller is one of the most profound series out there . One of Netflix's best .

Perfume, adapted from the 1985 best-selling novel by Patrick Süskind, is a German production that updates Süskind's story from 18th-century France to the present-day Lower Rhine. Its six episodes are hauntingly macabre. A beautiful singer slips into her swimming pool for a naked nighttime swim and turns up grotesquely mutilated the next day. A murderous fetishist is on the loose, one who obsesses, apparently, over scent (her body hair and accompanying tissue have been removed). The lead detective (Friederike Becht: moody, gorgeous) suspects the victim's former prep school friends, an ill-tempered bunch who are harboring secrets. One of them is a world-class perfume maker, and plausibly a psychopath. The show is lavishly shot and gleefully twisted; sexy, and dark !

Reactions: Defcon

·
Registered
998 Posts
The movie was great, very atmospheric and unsettling as it should be. Thanks for the recommendation on the show! Have you seen the movie and is it as good?
I must say I can not compare the T.V. series to the film as I have not seen 'Perfume: The Story of a Murderer "
But I have read over the years that as you mentioned it is " a great movie". I have added it to my ever growing Amazon prime watch list. I believe you will enjoy Parfum 2018 engaging writing , terrific cinematography , very solid acting. One never knows with these things as it is all very subjective . :)

Reactions: Defcon
201 - 220 of 238 Posts