AVS Forum banner

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I must say I can not compare the T.V. series to the film as I have not seen 'Perfume: The Story of a Murderer "
But I have read over the years that as you mentioned it is " a great movie". I have added it to my ever growing Amazon prime watch list. I believe you will enjoy Parfum 2018 engaging writing , terrific cinematography , very solid acting. One never knows with these things as it is all very subjective . :)
I had no idea the movie was on Prime, I just added it to my list and will watch it again, thanks.

Prime is so weird, I see 2 listings -

Watch Perfume: The Story of a Murderer | Prime Video - free with Prime

Watch Perfume: The Story of a Murderer | Prime Video - not free

for the exact same movie

I'd forgotten it had Alan Rickman in it as well. Also had no idea it was directed by Tom Twyker who also made one of my favorite movies ever, Cloud Atlas.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Prime is so weird, I see 2 listings -

Watch Perfume: The Story of a Murderer | Prime Video - free with Prime

Watch Perfume: The Story of a Murderer | Prime Video - not free

for the exact same movie
For whatever reason, they are inconsistent with their listings. The free Prime doesn't give you the "more purchase options" that some other Prime movies do. When that is the case, they give the Rent/Buy option for non-Prime members.

Here is another example...

Almost an Angel free with Prime. This one, like Perfume, is missing the "more purchase options". Why? Who knows.

Almost an Angel- not free

Rocketman This free with Prime gives "more purchase options" so no need for another listing.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
First part of this post is the antithesis of the thread title, but I believe this is a well-rounded group of thread participants that appreciate a good international presentation.

ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL (2020)
Sundays, January 10 - February 21 2021 on MASTERPIECE on PBS

The biggest mystery here is what is wrong with the local farmers cow, but the cast is excellent, the countryside scenery is lush and you can't help but care about all of the main characters after viewing the first episode.

@RobKnapp created a show thread here: All Creatures Great and Small 2021: MASTERPIECE on PBS

Second part of this post is more inline with the thread title.

MISS SCARLET & THE DUKE
Sundays, January 17 - February 21 2021 on MASTERPIECE on PBS

Reactions: RobKnapp and Keenan

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Reactions: RobKnapp

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Really short at just 5 episodes though, Part 1 apparently, and the fact that it's on Netflix makes me wonder if we'll ever see any more of it. It is really good though.
I think this is one where we will likely see Part 2 of Season 1 on Netflix. Hopefully it was all shot at once. They may drop it after that if the numbers tell them no new subscribers will get pulled in. That seems to be there M.O. these days. And since it is a French production there is a greater chance we will see more. Most of these European countries make Netflix commit to a certain percentage of their content coming from local productions in order to operate in their region.

·
Premium Member
35,556 Posts
I think this is one where we will likely see Part 2 of Season 1 on Netflix. Hopefully it was all shot at once. They may drop it after that if the numbers tell them no new subscribers will get pulled in. That seems to be there M.O. these days. And since it is a French production there is a greater chance we will see more. Most of these European countries make Netflix commit to a certain percentage of their content coming from local productions in order to operate in their region.
Yes, think we'll see more of it too but I'm less confidant of that than I was just a few years ago. The fact that it's a foreign-based series is in its favor as it seems like those shows are being picked up whereas domestics are being dropped. And it makes sense from a subscriber point of view as well as USA subscriptions have pretty much leveled off, the market is saturated while the international market is still ripe for further growth.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
Lupin on Netflix is pretty good.
Netflix’s Lupin is primed to set a global benchmark for a French series on the service with 70M households projected to watch the five-parter through its first 28 days...that’s bigger than other recent English-language hit series Bridgerton (projected at 63M) and The Queen’s Gambit (62M actuals)...the Omar Sy-starrer made its Netflix debut on January 8th, and quickly became the first French series to land on the streamer’s U.S. Top 10 list

It easily launched to No. 1 across in France and remains in that position today...Netflix reports it has also ranked No. 1 in Brazil, Vietnam, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Sweden and many other countries...Lupin is 93% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Netflix’s Lupin is primed to set a global benchmark for a French series on the service with 70M households projected to watch the five-parter through its first 28 days...
That should get us a Part 2 and at least one follow up season. After that, who knows with Netflix.

Reactions: Keenan

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
C.B. Strike

First three (3) stories / books, THE CUCKOO'S CALLING, THE SILKWORM, CAREER OF EVIL are now available on HBO Max. Not sure when the fourth book, LETHAL WHITE will be added. These are short 2-3 episode stories and it looks like HBO Max has put them all under a SEASON 1 tab.

Reactions: RobKnapp

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Lupin on Netflix is pretty good.
Just started this, fantastic show. But ep4 was IMO very weak.

Assane/Lupin has so far been shown to be smart and 1 step ahead. Am I to believe a computer and tech expert wouldn't make a digital copy of the vhs, esp since he said he was going to post it online? Why the hell would he risk going in person to a tv show with 2million viewers when Twitter has a billion people?

Sorry but he was just stupid. But the lead actor Omar Sy is very charismatic and really carries the show.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The Brokenwood Mysteries just finished filming season 7. Hopefully it will arrive on Acorn TV before the end of the year.

221 - 238 of 238 Posts