AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which multichannel amps are thought to be really good in the under $5,000 price range. By multi I'm talking about 7.1 channels with at least 140 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I am not sure anybody needs 7.1, but I am sure most don't for the simple reason that they just don't have the room to make any signifigant difference, and no matter what your room, no current material, and it appears 6.1 will be the more logical wiht a rear vocals channel.

I have a above average system with Meridian for the meantime until I find the right situation and get back into my Theta Casablanca, and Krell amplification with even over a 1300 dollar speaker cables but when I listened to 7.1 I thought so what. If you have that rare room where side and rear is possible for both sides, then having the old matrix back for 2 of them does a little, but you are also eliminating almost all good amps, and most brands of all types good or not by having to be 7 channel.

IN theory I am a big music lover also, and I have always believed having a great front 3 channel is the key for both HT and of course music and then I use a 2 channel on the back 2nd amp. I actually haave 3 channels on that one and someday will go 6.1 because rear vocals and a little tie between sounds possible, but matrix the 2 sides makes no sense to me.

If you have to live in 7 channel under 5k then I would say the ATI is the 1st that comes to mind with your price, and quality. They have increidible never ending current, and very neutral for music. If Bryston is making a 7 channel then I would consider that also, but while they are 120wpc, they will be plenty compared to any other 150, so don't let watts scare you.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
A great 7-channel amp is the Sim Audio Titan, but beware it is very large. You should be able to find a used one at Audiogon for $5K. The Titan replaced my previous "beloved" EAD PM2000 that I owned for 3 years.

Consider the Titan 3.5 of the highly regarded Sim Audio W-5 amps under one roof.
http://www.simaudio.com/moontitan.htm

Good Luck - Andy

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Lammer
A great 7-channel amp is the Sim Audio Titan, but beware it is very large. You should be able to find a used one at Audiogon for $5K. The Titan replaced my previous "beloved" EAD PM2000 that I owned for 3 years.

Consider the Titan 3.5 of the highly regarded Sim Audio W-5 amps under one roof.
http://www.simaudio.com/moontitan.htm

Good Luck - Andy
:eek: That's one helluva amp.150lbs.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Look at the Adcom 7807 300 watts into 8 ohms per channel. 150 pound monster that sounds good and only cost 3200 MSRP.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You should consider the Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 or the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 7. The do a very good job in some installations without all the heat generated by many other amps.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Three of the Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3's would get you 9 channels of 300 watts at 8 ohms, 600 at 4 ohms, and 1000 watts at 2 ohms. And with a total weight for all three of them being 357lbs, it would even be the heaviest solution of all here so far, by almost 200lbs....;)

And you would not need a powered subwoofer, as you could use the extra amp channels for powering a passive subwoofer.

http://www.earthquakesound.com/cinenova_3.htm

And as far as the MSRP goes. They can be had new, for way less then the price he is looking to spend, for three of them even. By just visiting a certain auction site that we all know, as they are being offered there new, almost daily. At some very low prices.

But if I had the money to spend, and was looking to buy a amp.

I myself would probably go with the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 7. Over the Earthquakes.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You can look for a Interga Research RDA-7.

Amp is 7 channels; 150/8,300/4ohm. 5K msrp.

Audiogon has them going in low 2K range.

Jim

·
Registered
267 Posts
The Sherbourn amps are excellent and cost considerably less then your $5K budget. You should also consider Bryston, although you will likely need to shop around for a while to find a used pair of 9B's and stay within your budget.

·
Registered
23 Posts
definitely check out the Sherbourn. Most people consider this piece a great value. Just careful when you bring it home, at 100lbs, it can be a little tricky to maneuver! :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
For 5 k I would look at the upcoming NAD T973 which is 7 channel 140 watts at 8 Ohm and is 1999.00 US. I agree with many here ATI and Adcom make solid amps. Also for that price I too would be considering Bryston. You can get a 5 channel and the 2 channel version of the bryston amp to get full 7 channels. In terms of the money value and preformance you can't beat ATI, Adcom, and Sherbourn.

GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I also agree with the Adcom 7807. It is great in my system pushing 7 Axiom

speakers.

NEThomas

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Adcom is clean power, but 300W X 7 channels- you better have Triads, or something.

ATI is the choice of professionals, they have a 7-channel.

Outlaw is mid-fi, but their 7-channel amp(s) have great reviews.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Driscoll
You should also consider Bryston, although you will likely need to shop around for a while to find a used pair of 9B's and stay within your budget.
Avalon AV is currently selling on Audiogon Brand new Lex NT512 (Bryston 9B, $2500) and NT212 (Bryston 3B, $1100), it is well bellow $5000 and I guess if you buy two of them you can bargain a bit.

Nicolas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.