AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a DTV PVR for my In-Laws. In order to get the two tuning capability I know that I need to get them a Multiswitch. I currently own the Terk BMS-34 but would prefer to not have to spend that much as I see a plethera of Multiswitches out there.

Can anyone recommend a good Multiswitch for a dual LNB dish? 4 outputs is all that would be required and the runs wouldn't be long so powered should not be needed.

I'm looking at An Eagle Aspen DTV3X4 in anyone has opinions about that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just to mention something that I've read here time and time again. You should still get the powered multiswitch, as it will take the load of powering the LNB rather than your UTV units. The tuners in these things are very vey sensitive and it seems that a powered multiswitch tends to help keep them from premature death.

Again, just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was in the same situation just a month or so ago and found a powered multiswitch that was very reasonable. Here is the Model Info:

JVI 35-TRDTV48 4 x 8 In/Outdoor Multi-Satellite Switch

I have a triple LNB system and it has been installed now for several weeks and from what I can tell works very good. The quality of the build also seemed very solid but as for performance specs, I can not say. Is it as good as some of the top of the line units recommended here, probably not but at around $60 (bought online) including shipping I felt it was a good inexpensive option.

One big benefit of this unit that I really liked was that it had the option of mounting it indoors or outdoors. Most powered units require indoor mounting but his one can be remotely powered from the power adapter via a separate coax line. I elected to mount mine indoors but since there was no AC around where I wanted to put it, I simply ran a coax instead of running an extension cord or installing another AC outlet.

If you do a search you will also find an installation diagram that shows the various configurations of dishes/lnbs the unit supports (just about all that I can imagine).

Alan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since it is a 4x8 switch, are all four inputs required to get a signal out of it? I have a 2x4 unpowered switch currently and would rather not run another two coax's from my dish.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unlikely that you would need all 4 inputs. The 4 inputs are simply Sat A and Sat B (Sat C is combined with the Sat B). If you didn't have all 4 you would simply get the ones connected. There are several sites on the internet that will show you diagrams of how this multiswitch connects to just about every DirecTV dish/LNB combination thats out there. Just watch the prices some charge, if you look hard you can find it for around $60.

That said, if you never have any intention of upgrading to need 4 inputs (oval dish) I think they also make some smaller units that are less expensive than the 4x8.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.