AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you recommend for a OTA HD tuner. I only want this because Cox does not provide all the locals in my area and with an antennae I could pick up the rest, ABC/NBC/WB/etc. Right now I only get PBS and CBS. What tuner would be best for DVI and dolby outputs? Thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the Samsung T165 with DVI output. This receiver works great as long as the stations are following all of the rules according to Samsung. For example PBS in my area multicasts two channels during the day, but at night it just shows one channel in HD. If you go to the channel that is not broadcasting the box continually reboots. To get out of the loop you must disconnect the antenna and take the channel out of the list, which means you will no longer get to it during the day. Samsung says PBS is broadcasting a bad PSIP table, PBS says they are correct. As a note my neighboor has the Samsung T160 (DirecTV unit) and does not have this issue. Other than this the T165 picks up the channels better than the T160 plus is can up convert non HD signals. My recommendation is to try it, but make sure you can return it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
when u say lg/zenith, does that include the Zenith hdv420? In other words, would the 420 have the same ability to pick up weak signals as teh sat520?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I've had the Sammy SIR-T151 for about six months now, and it's been great. No DVI, but I don't miss that. Picture is great through components on my Hit 51UWX20B. I got a refurb on eBay for less than $200. Picks up all my locals great.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a buddy that works at BestBuy that can get me the Samsung 351 for less that 200. Anyone using it?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Friend had a SIR-T351 in Portland, OR. He couldn't receive CBS OTA at all! Turned out the CBS OTA there send out program guide over PSIP and it's too advanced for the 351 to understand. Samsung's blaming the station and the station's blaming Samsung.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.