AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the recommend brands and types of paint for home theaters esp. a flat black point for ceilings and around the proscenium?

Sincerely,

snooktarpon

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Use "color, paint, ceiling" as search words and you'll find a dozen posts on color and paint. Flat Paint. Benj, Moore is my top choice.

Here is a thread to get you started:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=436265

As you can imagine many topics have been discussed in the past and the quickest way to find info is through the search engine in current threads and archives.

Good Luck

Ron

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I just used American Tradition (Lowe's) Kettle Black in a flat interior finish. I just put in on last night and it is very black. You have to ask for the Kettle Black as it is not on a color chip and is the blackest black Lowe's has. They basically dump as much black pigment as the can will hold. Covered very in two coats. Much better than the Behr Flat Enamel I used for my red and blue. Benjamin Moore is good paint but isn't that stuff like $30 a can? And I don't think any paint covers in just one coat, do they?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Shahram72,

The Kettle Black was the "Blackest" chip I found at Lowes. However, both my wife and I saw some purple or blue in it. I talked to the guy at Lowes and he said that it wasn't a true black, but was the blackest they had. He told me he would add to it so it would be much 'blacker'. What I have now looks very black.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shahram72
Benjamin Moore is good paint but isn't that stuff like $30 a can? And I don't think any paint covers in just one coat, do they?
BM also cleans very easily, coverage is first rate vs other cheaper alternatives, chips less (sturdy)...I've used some of other cheaper brands in the past, but was introduced to BM by a friend (prof. painter) and have never looked back. Do you pay about 30% more...probably, but in the scheme of things it's not that much $ vs my investment into my HT. Yes, depending on what color I am covering vs the color I am painting over it...I have covered the wall in one coat with BM.

Ron

·
Registered
607 Posts
I used Tricorn Black in a flat finish from Sherwin Williams. Very black.

Randy

·
Registered
505 Posts
I used Benjamin Moore because I talked with some professional painters who all said BM is the Cadillac of paints. It's expensive but very worth it. I was extremely pleased with the outcome. It goes on smooth and two coats was all I needed (I did have a primer coat however). Sherwin Williams is another good brand, my interior of my house had SW paint but I must say I like the BM better.

Greg

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I got excellent results using behr. ceiling is flat beluga black. walls that aren't fabrics are flat enamel beluga. excellent coverage and no problems.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread. I used Gliddon Evermore Latex Flat on my ceiling. The color is Granite Gray, and I'm happy with the results. When contrasted with the side walls, most people think it's a white ceiling. So the color gives me both the benefit of the dark gray on ceiling for the theater, and a more aesthetically pleasing look than a "Black" ceiling would.

On the walls I used Ralph Lauren Latex Flat.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rutgar
I So the color gives me both the benefit of the dark gray on ceiling for the theater, and a more aesthetically pleasing look than a "Black" ceiling would.
I was under the same assumption when I had a gray ceiling....but once I painted it black...man, it looked fantastic....much more polished, professional looking. Another benefit was my black recessed lighting and black suspended acoustical panels blended in very nicely.

Ron

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quote:
I was under the same assumption when I had a gray ceiling....but once I painted it black...man, it looked fantastic....much more polished, professional looking. Another benefit was my black recessed lighting and black suspended acoustical panels blended in very nicely.
Well, I should have been more specific. Since my room is a mult-purpose room, and not just a dedicated theater, then the Grey is a great compromise.

If I had a dedicated theater, then yes, I would paint the ceiling black.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shahram72
And I don't think any paint covers in just one coat, do they?

It only took 1 coat to do my ceiling with Sherwin Williams Flat Black, although there was a coat of grey primer as well. Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore are definately the best to use. I've used them both and consider them pretty equal (I used to be an interior painter). Whatever you do, stay away from Behr. If you don't want to spend the money on SW or BM, then you're better off getting Glidden from home depot. It's better than Behr in terms of coverage and longevity. It's also on sale right now (save $5 per gallon) through May 23rd.

Stew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.