AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 7 years as a Dish Network subscriber, I'm moving over to DirectTV. As you all know, there are many manufacturers who make receivers for D*, including: Hughes, Sony, Phillips, Samsung, Toshiba... If I order service directly through D*, they can not tell me what type of equipment I will get. I can get some measure of control by buying through a D* local agent or retailer and choosing from what they have. So never having had options in manufacturers before, I'm not sure which I should choose. Are any of the above mentioned recognized as having better quality receivers? More reliable, easier to use, better video/audio quality, etc.

My requirements are pretty simple... I don't need TiVO. I simply need good video and a digital audio output. A second receiver can skip the digital audio out.

Thanks!

Denis

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I don't need TiVO
Yes you do. 50.000+ members at the Tivo Community can't be wrong. Also, it only costs a little more than a regular receiver with Dolby Digital. It's probably cheaper if you get it through an online retailer.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Get D*TiVo. It is only $99 bucks at local retailers and I think the same price with intallation from D*? You get two turner capability and dolby digital. You want know how you watched tv before TiVo. Later.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cabler,

That's perfect... thanks for the helpful reply. Any way to tell by looking if I'm getting the most current generation of Hughes, Phillips or RCA? I guess I can look on thier web sites for the newest stuff and then compare model numbers with what the installer is offering. Is there a better way?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
 Value Electronics has DTivo systems starting at $39.99. I'd also spend the extra $20 and get the 18x20 mutli-sat dish. You probably don't need it now but it will save you some hassles if you want to upgrade later. Also, the NASA channel is a nice addition.

-Robert

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Tivo units listed in Robert's post are the most current. At 39.99 I would say jump at it. Our cost as a dealer, after buy down, is 99.99. If they can sell them 60.00 less then what we can purchase them for I can't see how you could go wrong. As for the Hughes standard STB the current model number is SD-HBH.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Robert and Cabler,

Thanks for your replies. I spoke with Value Electronics by phone and they were very helpful and seemed knowledgeable. But being that they are out of state, I'm just a little cautious. Can you tell me if you have dealt with them before? Are they reputable, reliable, etc.? I'm especially concerned about their local installers.

Thanks,

Denis

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Value Electronics is a site sponser and the owner, DTV Tivo Dealer, is a member here and at the Tivo Community .

As for installers, you get what you pay for with free install. They will try to get in and out as fast as possible. There will be a few exceptions that will take their time and do excellent work. First, they will try to use existing wiring. If that isn't possible, they will run new coax on the outside of the house and punch through walls to get inside. Expect to pay extra if you want attic runs that drop down interior walls. My wife would not allow wires on the outside of our new house so I installed everything myself. It wasn't my first attempt so it is wasn't difficult. If you want to attempt a DIY install, we can give you tips and tricks on making it work.

-Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am about ready to jump into the DirectTV boat myself, and that looks like an awesome deal. I am wondering just how much extra I am looking at buying the package that has....

1. The Hughes 35 hour receiver.

2. Two extra standard receivers.

3. The upgraded dish.

4. Free Install.

What other accessories (installation kit, multiswitch, etc) am I going to need to add onto my purchase. Assume the house is already wired for cable and I will be reusing my existing lines running through the house.

DS

(note) I haven't actually moved into the new house yet, so although I know they had cable I do not know how or where the existing wiring is routed.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Assume the house is already wired for cable and I will be reusing my existing lines running through the house.
It may or may not work with satellite. When my house was being built, I asked the electrician (who also wired for phone and cable) how the cable system would be run. One coax into the house and splitters to each room. Not gonna work. He let me do my own wiring. 4 runs of coax from the dish to the theater room. Single runs to the bedrooms, office and breakfast room where I modulate the video. About a dozen runs from the theater room to the living room where I use RG-6 as component video/audio/subwoofer cables. 1,500 feet total and it still wasn't enough. Lucky for me, I have complete access in the attic to drop more cable.

1. The Hughes 35 hour receiver. - 39.99

2. Two extra standard receivers. - free

3. The upgraded dish. - 19.99

4. Free Install - free

Quote:
What other accessories (installation kit, multiswitch, etc) am I going to need to add onto my purchase.
Nothing. The installation guys will provide everything for the install and the dish has enough outputs for all of your receivers.

-Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Robert!

My only experience in hooking up a dish was in my brother's house. His house had rooms with a cable run all the way back to the garage and mounted to a giant splitter on the wall. We just replaced the cable splitter with the one supplied by DirectTV and did a little trial and error to figure out what output went to what room. We finished the whole project (4 receivers) in about a hour.

DS

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CablerMN
The most recent generation of DirecTivo units from Hughes, Phillips and RCA are the same with some cosmetic differences to the case. The software, remotes, etc are the same. As will all future DirecTV STBs (link removed because i dont have 5 posts yet)

So the stratagy is that we are all going to get the peanut? Dont get me wrong, i *love* the peanut, but i think they could do some work to it first (Move the TV power button to the top of the remote, make numbers bigger, etc, etc) Also, this means that we will have the TV guide Guide from digital cable. Im not a big fan of that, i would rather keep the directv grid or tivo live from the TiVo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.