AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new receiver to power my new Studio 60 speakers. I am almost exclusively interested in 2-channel music, but I want HT ability too, so I am looking for an A/V receiver that will produce the best 2-channel sound for my particular speakers. I'm not sure my speakers are fully broken in yet, but so far I find them to be a bit laid back in certain areas of the midrange, which I would like to compensate for with the receiver. Does this mean that I would be interested in a "bright" sounding receiver?

My budget would be a max of $1200, so I have identified several candidates that I might be able to get at that price: HK7200, Denon 3805, Pioneer Elite 55Txi, NAD 763, Yamaha 2400, or Rotel 1056. I'd really be interested in hearing from anyone using one of these receivers with the Paradigm Studios series.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Are you using a sub?

All of the above are good choices, best bet is to see if you can find dealers that'll let you demo the units in your home to find out what sounds good to you. The Paradigms are typically very accurate and like power or headroom. I have the 100's and they do take some time to break in - the laid back midrange is not a trait of the Paradigms and most likley is reflective of the source or the reciever. I'm using an HK8000 as a pre-pro and passively bi-amping with an Anthem PVA5.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm using a Yamaha RX-V2400 and a Anthem MCA-20 to power Paradigm Studio 100's (Anthem 200/watt x 2) and CC570 and 2 pairs of ADP470 surrounds are powered by the 2400. I think the Yamaha mates very well with the Paradigms. I use the 2 channel Anthem for the 100's since they demand alot a power. The 2400 does not sound bright and has ample power for your Studio 60's.

Greg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I even be worrying about whether the receiver sounds "bright" or "warm" with these speakers, or should I be looking for power first since many people, including both of you, seem to want to give them as much juice as possible?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jambon -

I have an HK 7200 paired with 2 Studio 20s for fronts. These will eventually be used as surround speakers when I save for Studio 100s and matching center. The burn in period was not an issue as I bought them used. :) For the bass I chose a Hsu STF-3.

I had the same requirements, a musical receiver which could do HT. HK's Pro Logic 7 is the best of the surround options in the receiver, IMHO. I seem to be using it exclusively. I couldn't be happier with my choices.

I would choose power.;) Power allows the receiver to bring out all of the details at the proper volume levels without struggling, distorting, muddying or compressing the sound. "Brightness" is a personal taste. Some like it others do not. You'll have to audition the combos to see if you like them.

Aside: I had heard a Yamaha receiver (not a 1400/2400) as well as a Rotel stereo amp with Paradigm's Monitor 7s and both systems sounded great. I imagine that the Yamaha/Studio 100 would sound great.

Edit: My daughter is watching Bob the Builder in Pro Logic 7.1 Surround sound!!! Woo Hoo :D :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.