AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post here, so I hope that it will be well received!

I currently own a Yamaha RX-V595 that I purchased about 10 years ago. It still runs like a champ, but I noticed that Blu-ray movies or Netflix from my Samsung BD-P1600 will not play in Dolby Digital, but only in Pro Logic. My receiver is pre-HDMI, so there are no inputs or outputs for that. I only have Coax in and lightpipe in. Normal DVD's play DD 5.1 with no problems.

I would like to stay with Yamaha since it's been so solid, but am brave enough to venture out to different brands.

I am currently looking at the Yamaha RX-V663 or RX-V665.

My current needs in order of importance:

1. Dolby Digital sound quality

2. Music sound quality

3. Picture

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Or if any of you know of any solutions to get my current receiver to play in Dolby Digital, I can keep it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I wonder if there's some setting with your player that's causing it to output stereo for Blu-ray discs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16975703

I wonder if there's some setting with your player that's causing it to output stereo for Blu-ray discs.

The only way to get sound on a Blu-ray disc is to set the Samsung audio to PCM. The disc will only play in Pro-Logic. When 8-bit sampling is selected, no sound comes out in English.

The Blu-ray is hooked via HDMI to the TV and lightpipe to my receiver.

I don't know of another option to hook this up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I wouldn't go with a newer Yamaha. Their newer receivers have weaker amp sections. Check out the Denon 1610/590 which is a great receiver for the money.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Unless you really want to get a new AVR, I don't think there's any reason for you to get a new one. Most likely, Michael is correct - it's probably a setting in the Samsung that's off (since you've already confirmed that you're getting DD 5.1 from regular DVDs, this is an indication that the Yamaha is working properly).

I have a Panasonic BD55 with Toslink to my Yamaha RX-V795a and then HDMI/DVI to my display - works great!

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattaguy /forum/post/16975020

Hello,

This is my first post here, so I hope that it will be well received!

I currently own a Yamaha RX-V595 that I purchased about 10 years ago. It still runs like a champ, but I noticed that Blu-ray movies or Netflix from my Samsung BD-P1600 will not play in Dolby Digital, but only in Pro Logic. My receiver is pre-HDMI, so there are no inputs or outputs for that. I only have Coax in and lightpipe in. Normal DVD's play DD 5.1 with no problems.

I would like to stay with Yamaha since it's been so solid, but am brave enough to venture out to different brands.

I am currently looking at the Yamaha RX-V663 or RX-V665.

My current needs in order of importance:

1. Dolby Digital sound quality

2. Music sound quality

3. Picture

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Or if any of you know of any solutions to get my current receiver to play in Dolby Digital, I can keep it.

Thanks.

Given that your Yamaha accepts analog 5.1 input perhaps you can simply exchange your player for the 3200 which supports mulit-channel analog out. Then you can connect your player to your current receiver via analog and take advantage of the newer codecs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRSQUARED /forum/post/16976255

I'm surprised that he can't get the DD/DTS bitstream to go from the Samsung to the Yamaha via the Toslink connection. All BD players should be able to do this!

It is strange. The Toslink plays all regular DVD's in DD/DTS, but only the Blu-Ray discs do not work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattaguy /forum/post/16976352

It is strange. The Toslink plays all regular DVD's in DD/DTS, but only the Blu-Ray discs do not work.

I think Blu-ray DD/DTS is only played through HDMI. I guess I should plan on upgrading.

Is the RX-V665 ok to replace the RX-V595 (I could probably ebay this to get a little money back)?

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts