AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the moment I've got a ffdshow resize setting in zoomplayer of 1920*1440 (highest possible for me without dropping frames).

I use it for both ntsc and pal dvd's.

Is it better using different settings for pal and ntsc?

regards,

nikkieneuken

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
nikkieneuken,

Bigger is not always better with Resize & Croma-Luma Sharpen.

You are using the Sharpen aren’t you?

You may get a better picture with a lower resolution. You need to test in steps.

Some noise reduction is useful. I can’t see how you can do that at 1920*1440. I can’t on a 3Gig P4 on an Asus P4PE board.

As for PAL-NTSC do some tests.

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks owen for your reply.

I thought that blight was stating in earlier postings that the higher the resolution the more the picture quality.

I'm using the sharpen settings you are talking about, but I'm not using the denoise. But I will start experimenting with this combination.

as for my high resolutions: I noticed that it's not only your cpu, but it's also the chipset on your board that is doing the job. I recently bought a nforce2 chipset motherboard and noticed that there is less dropping of frames.

regards,

nikkieneuken

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I agree with you on the CPU matter.

Karnis has a CPU 1Gh and can play using ffdshow no probs.

I have a 1P3 CPU 1Ghz, and no matter what settings I use, I drop frames like mad (unwatchable). WinXP/DX9/Ati7500/AsusP3b MB/500+MB SDRAM

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
nikkieneuken,

In thierry Blight is correct, but it is very much a case of deminishing returns.

Resizing beyond the optimal point for your display will yield very little improvement.

You may get a better result with a smaller resize and some Gradual denoise.

Untill faster CPU's become available everything is a compromise.

The main board chipset and RAM type-speed can have a marked effect on performance.

For example a fast P4 on board that uses SDRAM will give very poor performance. P4's need FAST RAM.

Athon CPU's are less demanding on RAM speed.

I find it hard to believe that any 1G machine could cope with Resize with Croma - Luma Sharpening.

Regards

Owen

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have an ancient non ddr athlon 1ghz setup (kt133) and can use gradual denoise and resize to 960x640 (possibly more, dunno but I DO drop frames at 1440x960) with 0 dropped frames. I have chroma and luma sharpness set to 1.3 each. I'm not convinced its 'better' to run this way on new DVD's but on old less than stellar transfers it does seem to be worth it. We gotta get some concensus as to what ffdshow settings really do. My display is a native 1024x768 fpj. I'm intrigued by the whole ffdshow thing and am running it by default but still dunno whether it's really all that great for me. I'm at the point where I'm not sure I should trust my eyes! Oh the humanity.

-Trouble

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
owen,

in the noise section. what settings are you using?

(old,new,mplayer,uniform ect.)

and what strength?

by the way, the combination of resize and noise is a very tough one for my cpu(athlon2100+, 1 ghzddr ram)....

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
BUMP......

Troubleshooter,

That is amazing. I dont meen to doubt you but, are you shore the filters are actually working. Did you tick the box to turn Resize on? :D

You have given hope to all the people with slower systems.

I find that the better the DVD the better resize-sharpen works.

I can use 2.0 for Croma and Luma on good DVD's and it looks sweet.

On poor quality disks I use less sharpen.

nikkieneuken,

You are looking in the wrong area.

I think it is called NR & Soften or something.

You need Gradual denoise 20 to 30 depending on DVD.

To much gives an unpleasant effect.

Cut back on the resize to save CPU

Regards,

Owen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.