AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommended settings? I received mine yesterday and do not yet have a calibration disk. Using the THX calibrations at the beginning of Toy Story, Brightness is at -17 and Contrast -3 which when viewing other media appears less than ideal.

First impressions Vs the Sony 32" XBR it replaced...It's Absolutely Stunning in 480P DVD connected to the Phillips PQ50A. I must admit that non-HD satalite images through Dish Network are not as good as when viewed at the dealer connected to Direct TV (I'll keep experimenting, perhaps change providers). Unfortunatley no OTA HD broadcasts in my area.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris

I'm afraid not, I'm new to this and perhpas I did not ask the right questions. I continue to experiment trying some of the settings posted for the 50, but still find myself constantly adjusting. Currently I am using the following: Fine Mode, Brightness -7, Contrast +3, Color -3 and find the SD images through Dish relatively poor. No OTHA HD in my area and I plan to change to DTV hoping for improvement.

Jim

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
This is what I have today.

Brightness +9

Contrast -5

Color 0

Tint 0

Sharpness 0

Piture Mode Static

Red 241

Green 253

Blue 200

So far I am quite happy with these settings.

·
Registered
260 Posts
J Craig -

My settings are much closer to Chris J's than yours.

Contrast -7

Brightness +4

Color +6

Tint +2

Sharpness 0

Mode Real2 or Static (in static I increase my brightness and contrast a bit)

I'm surprised to hear that someone prefers Fine mode. Maybe it has something to do with your Dish versus my DTV, but I played around with Fine mode for awhile and couldn't deal with how dark it looked. When I use any of the other modes, the plasma is the greatest looking thing in the room; in Fine mode it loses its wow.

As I'm sure you've noticed, the other modes look REALLY bright, too bright, after getting used to Fine mode. But after getting acclimated and doing some tweaking, I find it to be a more dynamic, vibrant picture. (I think the brighter modes also display more artifacts than Fine mode, but that's the nature of the SD beast, the bad channels/programs can look pretty bad, the better channels/programs/DVDs look f'ing amazing).

I should mention that I don't know jack about calibration and I'm no videophile. I like what looks good to my wife and I. I've heard that proper ISF calibration is much different from what I like, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Fine mode

contrast- -1

brightness +7

sharpness - 10

temp -2500*

·
Registered
352 Posts
Fine mode is the closest to what a calibration would look like.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe the wife and I don't have refined enough eyes to appreciate what true calibration should look like ;) but Fine mode always seems like a downer to us. I certainly believe that there are broadcasts that benefit from Fine mode, but for day to day it just kills the vibrancy of the picture too much. I tried Fine mode with Mark and Craig's settings with a progressive DVD of Monsters, Inc. and I was bored. The picture didn't catch my eye, I wasn't mesmerized and I certainly wasn't grabbing my wife every 5 minutes to make her see how amazing the picture is (like I normally do, even after 3 weeks).

Of course everything here is IMO, but the wow factor is very important to me, and I just don't get it in Fine mode.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jim:

If you switch to DirecTv from Dish do be sure to add a message to this thread letting us know what you think of the results. Whenever I see a plasma. even a Panny, showing a Dish signal at Sears stores the image for non HD looks barely acceptable. Whenever I see the same plasmas showing non HD from DirecTv the image looks quite good--certainly not DVD qualiity but as good as the same program on a medium size analogue CRT. Perhaps the problem is just with Sears wiring set up, but there have been enough similar comments from people who have Dish at home, that it looks as if DirecTv may be a better choice for plasma owners at least at the moment. If Dish comes out with many more HD channels, as they are suggesting lately, and DirecTv does not respond, then you may need to reconsider.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.