AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just moved into a new apartment, and I'm overhauling a lot of my furnishings and A/V equipment. It's been a long time since I've been in the market for speakers, and I'm a little overwhelmed by the large number of options on the market.

A little about my setup - I'm in a 1 BR apartment, with a living room that measures roughly 18' by 15'. I haven't decided on a final setup, but given the dimensions and layout of the room, my television and couch will be in the back corner of the room. This is a link to one of the setups I am considering:

I still own two Cambridge Soundworks Henry Kloss I tower speakers, but they're quite large and draw a lot of attention to the A/V setup. I want my apartment to be inviting to guests, and I don't want the living space to be a shrine to the TV. I'd rather not have speaker wires running all over the room, and I also don't want to do an expensive audio installation running wires through the walls, so I'm pretty sure a 5.1 setup is out.

The easy solution is just to use speakers that came with my television, which is a Pioneer 111FD. I've been using them for the last couple of weeks, and while they are okay, they don't produce nearly the quality of sound that my tower speakers did. Here is a picture of the television and media center I am working with:

I also have a couple end tables of matching height and style to the media center, so I could line them up next to each other for extra surface area for some bookshelf type speakers. But, that solution seems rather inelegant.

If anyone has suggestions for other setups / specific speakers that might suit this environment, I'd really appreciate the help. Budget isn't really a big concern, but I'm not enough of an audio enthusiast to appreciate the subtleties of really high end models. Plus, I'll mostly be listening at low to moderate volumes, and I can't afford to blast any bass because the walls are thin here and I've got neighbors above, below, and to the side.

Other information - I'm currently using an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver, and the only devices I'm running are a satellite box and a PS3.

Thanks for any suggestions you all can give.

P.S. Any ballpark idea what the value on those Cambridge Soundworks speakers might be? They've been used almost exclusively at low to moderate volume, and to my ears, still sound great. The cases show very little wear.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Your entertainment stand doesn't have a good spot for a center speaker (like mine didn't in my apartment), so you might have to put a center speaker sitting in front of the bottom of the TV, or get a mount system for the center above the TV (be sure to angle the speaker towards the listening position).

For more casual listening, bookshelves would be fine...far better than the TV speakers.

If you're really into the audio side, you'd want a serious center speaker and match front L and R, as either towers or more capable bookshelves (with 8" plus woofers).

Or, can you find a matching center for the Cambridge?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.