AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, for my first thread I was hoping to get the opinion of some of you guys that are far more knowledgeable in HT than I am. I have always been an audio guy (I love loud music and killer surround sound when watching a movie) but I know more about car audio than I do home audio. So, after searching the forum to an extent and reading the subwoofer thread rules I would like to give this a go. I am installing my first HT setup in my home. I purchased a new Yamaha Aventage RX-A1010 receiver and Jamo S606 5.0 speaker set. I also purchased a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 blu-ray player. (I included links below in case that is helpful.) Now I am trying to find the best subwoofer to compliment this setup. I am looking to spend roughly $400-$600. I would be willing to go a little higher if everyone says that I really should. I don't really have any size requirements for the sub. I guess as long as it isn't more than 3' by 3' then we are in good shape. My house is layed out with a very open floor design so room size isn't exactly easy to pin down. I included an image to best show what I am working with. I am going to snap some photo's when I get home tonight as well. My living room probably feels bigger than it is but it is approximately 16' x 17'. I plan on using my HT for music and movies about evenly. Music will range from alternative, pop, R&B, metal, rock, country, etc. I have no appearance requirements as this unit will be mostly hidden (couch and dog kennel...poor dog) and I have no time requirements either. I have heard so many good things about so many subs I am at a loss as for where to start. Since I ordered the Jamo S606 speakers from Vanns.com I jumped over to the sub section and I see that Jamo has a matching sub. Does anyone know anything about the Jamo SUB 650? (Link Below) It was just the first one I looked at. I don't care if the sub matches the speakers or not, but I do have to admit it looks pretty good. I am open to all suggestions and thank you for your time.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...onic-dmpbdt210

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...68669/#Reviews – Subwoofer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1
The Bic isn't in the same league as the other mentioned subs. The Rythmik wont be nearly as loud from 20-30hz, but will likely have the "tightest" bass.
Why is that (Rythmik won't be as loud)?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/20889114

The Bic isn't in the same league as the other mentioned subs. The Rythmik wont be nearly as loud from 20-30hz, but will likely have the "tightest" bass.

The Rythmik FV12 should compare well with the HSU and outlaw with outlaw Ex mabey having slightly more output. However the outlaw is not on sale but the Rythmik is. At the current sale price, the FV12 is hard to beat for music and movies IMO. I do agree that the Bic PL200 is not in the same class as the other subs mentioned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I have been doing as much research as possible and I am having a hard time finding any major differences with a few of these subs. I understand that the Rythmik sub uses a special servo technology that they claim makes it superior. It seems that a lot of the folks on this forum indeed like these subs and claim they are more accurate. Other than that I am struggling to make a decision. I also ran across the definitive technology supercube II. Is this sub in the same class as the other four I have listed below? Out of the subs listed below which one would you buy? At this point I think I will just rely on recommendation since I am not knowledgeable enough to know the difference. I think as of this second I am leaning towards the HSU but I would like to know what would be the majority vote. I am enjoying learning about all of them, and I appreciate everyone who has helped me. Thank you.

http://rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=102

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...SuperCube%20II

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
From that list I would go with the Outlaw LFM-1 EX. It is pretty much the equivalent of the Hsu VTF3 mk3. I also used to use the ED A3-300, and that sub packs a huge punch as well, great sub for the money. The VTF2 would be excellent as well, but between that and the LFM-1 EX, I would go with the EX (well, I already have, I have two of them). I don't know how the Rythmik really compares, but I'm guessing it won't have the low frequency performance of the Outlaw, Hsu, or ED, given the enclosure size- bigger boxes typically mean deeper tuning. I wouldn't consider the Supercube quite like these others, and I doubt it will have the low frequency performance of even the Rythmik. I would definitely skip the Supercube unless you really need a small sized sub.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Here is my take. I am not an expert and have only owned one sub(SVS PB10- nsd). I have not heard the ones you are thinking of. But, I do read these forums a lot. From what I can tell, all are excellent products with very similar performance. So, assume that you will be happy with the sound from any of your options( eD, Rythmik, Hsu, or Outlaw). You will probably love any of them, especially if you have never had a sub before. So, try to pick based on criteria other than specs. If you are buying a sports car and 3 models have very similar performance, what would you do? Probably pick based on looks, comfortable seats, the radio, gas mileage etc.

As far as the subs go, look at these factors:

Fit and finish. Does one style do it for you, such as the plexiglass top on the Outlaw? Do you want a color other than black?

Configuration. ED and Rythmik have front woofers. You have a dog and based on the little pink table, kids. Higher risk of damage. Outlaw and Hsu have down firing woofers.

Hsu has a rear port, but Outlaw has a down port. Rear port might not work well if close to the back wall, cause it needs room to breathe.

Warranty. Is one company better or worse than another?

Backorder status.

Amp. Do any of them have parametric EQ to smooth out a frequency bump? Rythmik might, but hard to tell from website so email them. You probably do not need a built in crossover or speaker level inputs if you plan to uses bass management in your AVR and run a simple RCA cable.

Auto on/off feature. I think they all have it, but if not, would probably not get that model. A handy feature to have.

Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer /forum/post/20894242

Here is my take. I am not an expert and have only owned one sub(SVS PB10- nsd). I have not heard the ones you are thinking of. But, I do read these forums a lot. From what I can tell, all are excellent products with very similar performance. So, assume that you will be happy with the sound from any of your options( eD, Rythmik, Hsu, or Outlaw). You will probably love any of them, especially if you have never had a sub before. So, try to pick based on criteria other than specs. If you are buying a sports car and 3 models have very similar performance, what would you do? Probably pick based on looks, comfortable seats, the radio, gas mileage etc.

As far as the subs go, look at these factors:

Fit and finish. Does one style do it for you, such as the plexiglass top on the Outlaw? Do you want a color other than black?

Configuration. ED and Rythmik have front woofers. You have a dog and based on the little pink table, kids. Higher risk of damage. Outlaw and Hsu have down firing woofers.

Hsu has a rear port, but Outlaw has a down port. Rear port might not work well if close to the back wall, cause it needs room to breathe.

Warranty. Is one company better or worse than another?

Backorder status.

Amp. Do any of them have parametric EQ to smooth out a frequency bump? Rythmik might, but hard to tell from website so email them. You probably do not need a built in crossover or speaker level inputs if you plan to uses bass management in your AVR and run a simple RCA cable.

Auto on/off feature. I think they all have it, but if not, would probably not get that model. A handy feature to have.

Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents.

+1 Great advice. You will happy with what ever you choose

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
++1

Spot on and very nicely written.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
++1 on Rythmik FV12. Im an owner of a BicPl200 and If I have a chance to swap my Bic PL200 with the FV12 I will do it with a blink of an eye. FV12 is much, much more better sub.

I wish to sell my PL200 and get FV12. No local buyers yet.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Did you get any closer to making a decision on which sub to get? If so, would love to hear why and then your listening impressions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.