AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received two free QSC RMX 1850HD amps. I think I want to use one to power my new ED 6T6 towers and I would like to use one to build a sub. I would think the amp has plenty of power to drive a pretty big sub. I am open to just about any sub and any design. My room is about 13 x 22 with eight foot ceilings and two opening to other rooms.

I am open to an end table design (and my wife would be happier!), as one could quite easily go in one of two corners. But if I would be sacrificing too much by trying to go with the end table design, then I would be fine with a more conventional sub enclosure. Also, if someone thinks I should run two subs from one of the amps OR if there are strong recommendations to use both amps to power a sub then I would be open to that as well. Unfortunately I just don't know much about what I really have and what I should do with them!

Thanks for everyone's help and recommendations!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Two end tables would be a nice addition. You amp has the capability to drive a 2ohm load, which at spec produces 900w per channel.

Two Elemental Designs 19.Ov.2 18" subs with dual 4ohm voice coils would be a nice match for you situation. Wire each drivers voice coils parallel for a 2 ohm load and you're good to go. I would strongly suggest a Behringer DCX Unit for bass control. Even with the added cost of the unit, since the amps were free the cost of two 18" subs would be less than $1k. Pretty not bad. Try for about 5 cuft sealed and i'd do downfiring to avoid any accidents in a high traffic area or drink splills runnind down onto the driver. You''ll only need the 1 amp for a pair, so do what you like with the other. I'd make sure to have 2 20amp circuits available to power these at 2ohms. 15 amps would be fine for 4ohm load.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts