AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a sub for a room that is going to be built. The room is 24'x16' and has a cathedral ceiling that's 13' high in the center.


I'm using it with 2 Yamaha A636 (3 way 8" woofer) for fronts. A Infinity center (2 5.25 woofers and a tweeter) and 4 small infinity satellites. All speakers will be wall mounted or on a high shelf (except for the sub).


I don't have a receiver yet.


I'm going to use it almost entirely for TV/movies at lower volumes. Little to no blasting. I want it to sound decent but don't need it to shake the room.


I'm not going to spend a lot of money. I want something that will match my other speakers quality wise.


Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20774593


I'm not going to spend a lot of money. I want something that will match my other speakers quality wise.

To some people this means $100, to others $500, to others $1000...


...what does it mean to you?
 

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
Joined
·
13,743 Posts

  1. That big area with lots of airspace
  2. no blasting required
  3. 100% tv and movie use
  4. $500 budget


I'd recommend two subs definately for that big an area because even one reasonably good $500 sub won't adequately fill that much space, so you might as well at least have the smoothness of room filling sound for all seating positions that typically accompanies two subwoofers. A couple of BIC f12 subs or similar would be my recommendation - great for movies (just know they won't hit the grin inducing low notes like the $1000 subs will). I bet you'd be happy with this given your requirements and we came in under budget on the current Amazon price. I heard a F12 recently in a friends theatre and was very impressed for the sub $200 shipped price. As far as my experiences to make such a recommendation? See my sig link.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F1...2415671&sr=8-1


or even cheaper through the forum sponsered link here!
http://www.avscience.com/Store/shop....ered_Subwoofer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
  1. That big area with lots of airspace
  2. no blasting required
  3. 100% tv and movie use
  4. $500 budget


I'd recommend two subs definately for that big an area because even one reasonably good $500 sub won't adequately fill that much space, so you might as well at least have the smoothness of room filling sound for all seating positions that typically accompanies two subwoofers. A couple of BIC f12 subs or similar would be my recommendation - great for movies (just know they won't hit the grin inducing low notes like the $1000 subs will). I bet you'd be happy with this given your requirements and we came in under budget on the current Amazon price. I heard a F12 recently in a friends theatre and was very impressed for the sub $200 shipped price. As far as my experiences to make such a recommendation? See my sig link.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F1...2415671&sr=8-1


or even cheaper through the forum sponsered link here!
http://www.avscience.com/Store/shop....ered_Subwoofer
I think this dual Bic F12 for your needs is a good suggestion. And the AVS deal is pretty sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
Have you done a search in this forum for threads with $500 in them? There are a lot, with many suggestions from Rythmik, SVS, eD, Hsu, Outlaw, Epik, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/20778269


Have you done a search in this forum for threads with $500 in them? There are a lot, with many suggestions from Rythmik, SVS, eD, Hsu, Outlaw, Epik, etc.

Yes but most people don't have a room as large as mine.


Maybe what I should ask is how big of an amplifier/woofer will I need for a single subwoofer solution?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,453 Posts
Be careful when looking at used subs, shipping can be extremely expensive. Add to that the very real possibility of damage due to the owner not packing the sub well enough, not having the original boxes, warranty issues, etc. and it doesn't seem worth it. I would avoid used subs unless you can do a local pickup, in which case you can check out the condition before hand and ensure safe delivery. If you can stretch your budget a bit this one is on sale http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html


It should do the job, and if need be you could add another somewhere down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
If the room is going to be built (i.e. not built yet), then I suggest you explore an IB (infinite baffle) sub. There are some knowledgeable people, both in this forum and perhaps moreso in the DIY forum, that could help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not interested in a used sub. The only thing i'll buy used are speakers. Nothing with amplifiers.


I looked at the hsu site. They have room ratings of 1-4. 4 being the largest. It looks like anything rated 3 or 4 would be big enough. They have one on sale for $509. Might be worth investigating.


Infinite baffle sub. Never heard of such a thing. I'll see what I can find.
 

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
Joined
·
13,743 Posts
There is no way I'd go with a single sub with that big of a room - your room is nearly 5000 cubic feet and you did not say it was sealed. With a single $500 sub you're likely to have very uneven bass levels from various positions in the room. The BIC F12 is what I would consider...tiny (at least in the world of home theatre subs) with dimmensions of Dimensions: 17 x 14-3/4 x 17-1/4 inches (HxWxD), and actually looks pretty decent/upscale for the price with the grill on.


I've joked with my friend that he should put it in a backback and bring it over on his motorcycle sometime so we can hear it in my larger room (3500 cubic feet)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just looked at the blueprints. The interior dimensions are 23' 4""x15' 9" with a roof the slopes from 8' 1 1/8" on the sides to 12' 11 3/16" in the center.


or 280"x 189" x (97.125 to 155.1875")


280 x (97.125 + 155.1875)/2 x 189 = 6676188.75 in^3/(12x12x12) = 3863 cu ft.


The room will not be sealed. It has a 4 foot wide counter that opens to the kitchen and another opening where a current sliding glass door is (probably 5' wide x 7' tall).


On a side note...

It's a nightmare getting this thing done. There are so many building codes and regulations. I hired a great builder who gave me a great price. Problem is they don't do much in my county and aren't as familiar with the permit process. So they submit for permits and get rejected because they didn't have me sign some form declaring that I'm not cutting down any conservancy trees or some other stupid thing that was never stated on the department of building services web site. They have to alter blueprints because the person at the county reviewing doesn't know what they're doing so it's another $100 getting new blueprints printed up at FedEx office because they have to be on 2'x3' paper. The next time we submit with new blueprints, the new reviewer wonders why we made the last change when it wasn't needed and mentions something about the egress window being too small when the previous guy said it was OK. I had a couple of contractors I was considering tell me that the way things are going, people won't do any more home improvements with permits. It's too difficult to get approval. All work will be done illegally.

Done with rant.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top