Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello--

In my room, I am planning on building 6 columns using 3/4" MDF (2 on each side and 2 on the rear wall). The rear 4 columns will contain my side and rear surrounds. The frontmost two columns will each have a sconce light attached to the front. I am also considering building these columns as bass traps, either using pegboard behind the MDF (which will be wrapped in fabric and stuffed with insulation), or else I will skip the pegboard and just have large openings cut into the MDF columns. This would be a concept similar to the plan shown in Dennis Erskine's Home Theater Builder article on column construction.

Without knowing more about my room and the specific construction of it, I'm interested to hear the initial reactions to this idea. Good? Bad? Unknown? More work than it's worth? The side columns will be be almost exactly at the 1/3 and 2/3 points of the wall on each side (which is 20.3 feet long).

I know that the answer may be that it's impossible to know the effect for sure. However, if it's a better idea to do it (than to leave the front columns solid), then I'll give it a shot. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

jj

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
jeffthx

Columns are certainly a place to put some absorbtion, particularly bass traps.

Quote:
pegboard behind the MDF
I rather doubt he used pegboard (i.e. the kind you buy at Home Depot to hang things on) -- the holes are a useless proportion acoustically.

And I doubt even more that it was behind MDF.

Quote:
Dennis Erskine's Home Theater Builder article
Which issue and page?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't clear with my description. The column design that he showed for bass trapping was a mostly open frame. The pegboard was inserted inside the openings (behind the fabric). I believe he wrote that this design results a hemholtz absorpbtion effect. I am not familiar enough with acoustics to know what this specifically means.

Unfortunately, I am currently traveling, and I don't have the article with me. I typed my original question based on my memory of the article. I have read it over several times, though, and I'm quite certain that it is standard pegboard that he recommends as an insert inside the openings on the front and sides of the column. When I said that the pegboard was behind the MDF, I did a poor job of describing his recommendation. I tried to find a reference to the article on the HTB website, but I don't see back issue info there anymore.

Any further info will be appreciated. I promise to stop writing unclear posts in the middle of the night.

Thanks,

jj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.