Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am in the process of building an HTPC, and would like to know which tuner card is most recommended for dScaler? I assume an ATI TV Wonder will not work (the card I have at present)?

Thanks, RD

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
RD: the TV Wonder works fine with dScaler.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! BTW is does a Pentium II-350 have sufficient power to run dScaler? If so, is an AGP-1X mobo enough, or should I replace it with a 4X?

Thanks, RD

·
Registered
334 Posts
dschmelzer,

Do you get audio using dscaler and TV Wonder?

Which connection do you use, RF, composite or svideo?

I've tried everything and can't get any audio (using RF) . Video works just fine.

BTW, audio works just fine using the supplied ATI software.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dschmelzer:
RD: the TV Wonder works fine with dScaler.
I realize there isn't much difference between the picture quality of the various tuner cards, but how is the picture quality with the TV Wonder? I am currently building my HTPC and finding a local Pinnacle or Hauppauge dealer has been difficult. On the other hand, the ATI TV Wonder is a cinch to get.

Thanks,

Mike.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
"BTW is does a Pentium II-350 have sufficient power to run dScaler? If so, is an AGP-1X mobo enough, or should I replace it with a 4X?"

RD: the bus is fine, but your CPU is underpowered. Short of HDTV decoding, dScaler is one of the most consistently demanding applications out there. You will probably not be happy with the results on a 350 MHz machine.

"Do you get audio using dscaler and TV Wonder?"

jvidalny: mcmillan reports mono sound OK on NTSC, but bad stereo. There are some small sound improvements in the next release that might catch this, but I'm not sanguine. Sound still needs a lot of work.

Re my input, I don't have a TV Wonder.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
RD: the bus is fine, but your CPU is underpowered. Short of HDTV decoding, dScaler is one of the most consistently demanding applications out there. You will probably not be happy with the results on a 350 MHz machine.
Looks like I'll be investing in a 1Ghz Thunderboard, Asus A7A mobo, and 256mb of DDR memory!

Thanks for the tips!

RD

·
Registered
91 Posts
I found my winTV-D on eBay for darn near what J+R was selling them for. The card works very nicely (using composite-in) with dTV (soon 2 B dscaler)...

------------------

-macdaddy

visit www.theHarangue.com

[This message has been edited by theREALmacdaddy (edited 05-09-2001).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is anyone using a configuration with Wintv-d as a

TV tuner/capture card and Accesstv as a HDTV card in the

same setup?

Are there any incompatibilities with both of these

cards in the same computer? I want to get a Accesstv

card for HD and use the Wintv-d along with dscaler(dtv)

for delacing non digital signals.

------------------

Will D. Davis

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Are there any cards with S-Video in which work with dtv?
I'm told the ATI TV Wonder words with dScaler, and it offers S-Video input.

RD

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
The Pinnacle Studio PCTV Rave has S-Video and composite inputs.

·
Registered
364 Posts
More out of curiosity then anything else I've tried to connect my Sony 200 DVD changer to my Mitsu 46805 through the WinTV-D card running dTV instead of the usual component connection.

I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the results. There is a pronounced resolution loss with a lot of noise around the edges of the objects. There are also horizonal lines every inch or so throughout the picture. I've tried the best quality settings I could come up with but no joy. Turning on the vertical filter in the advanced settings seemed to fix the edge noise but it also made the picture very soft.

I guess the question is whether I am setting up dTV incorrectly or whether I am just expecting too much out of WinTV-D composite input?

Tomasz

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
"I guess the question is whether I am setting up dTV incorrectly or whether I am just expecting too much out of WinTV-D composite input?"

I think you are expecting too much out of the WinTV-D composite input. However, make sure that your DVD player is set to something like "widescreen" and dScaler is set to anamorphic.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-09-2001).]

·
Registered
578 Posts
Quote:
Are there any cards with S-Video in which work with dtv?
You always have an option to use a video capture card with S-video and use an external tuner.. say from a VCR.

The Cybertainment video capture card is an affordable discovery. You may order it here

They've reduced it to $14.50!! I bought it for $20 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Good Luck

------------------

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, Pause and Reflect

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Just to be clear, virtually all of the more recent cards have s-video in (but do check before you buy!). The WinTV-D is a special situation, and so doesn't have an s-video in.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Will Davis:
Is anyone using a configuration with Wintv-d as a

TV tuner/capture card and Accesstv as a HDTV card in the

same setup?

Are there any incompatibilities with both of these

cards in the same computer? I want to get a Accesstv

card for HD and use the Wintv-d along with dscaler(dtv)

for delacing non digital signals.
You might want to check with Cliff W to be sure, but I think these two cards are incompatible, because they use the same chipset for something (I can't remember what). Just about any other Hauppauge card other than the two digital ones should work fine in the same machine as the accessDTV, though.

Jeff

·
Registered
283 Posts
Don't expect too much from a PC TV card, I have a Radeon AIW, and the picture quality is well down on what I see on an old (but still good) TV. I get a better picture by taking the composite video from the TV into the AIW for display. Things may be better than that in USA, but from what I can find out in europe, all TV cards are pretty much the same as regards picture quality

------------------

Its not what you do - its the way that you do it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.