AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to create a small poll to see just how satisfied folks in this forum are with their ReplayTV. I am on my third ReplayTV (selling my first 3030 on eBay now) and all of my units have worked flawlessly. I have recommended ReplayTV to friends, and currently two have purchased on my recommendations. One friend is like me. His machine works great. Sadly, the second friend purchased a 5040 last December and has had NOTHING but trouble out of three different units.

His first brand new unit went into the reboot of death just after 2 months of use. Sent it back and they lost it. Once found (two months passed) he get the second unit back and modem would not work. Sends back a second time and for a second time its lost. Two months later he receives his third unit. Since July (and the receipt of 5.0) he has had nothing but t-r-o-u-b-l-e getting connected to the service. Unit would not boot on its own, and had to be rebooted before connecting manually. He needed build 110 to solve his modem problems, but could NOT download build 110 because it would stop and give him the famous "can not transfer additional information" message upon checking for new software.

Finally, he gets build 110 and now his modem hangs his machine up every third or fourth time. Friends, this has gone on for almost one year. Is he happy with HIS Replaytv? You guessed it, and I really feel like a evil friend for even mentioning it to him, and to rub salt into the wound, he knows I have had nothing but praise for all three of my machines. This subject has been beaten and walked on for months so I do not want to to rehash this again, just take a small poll. Are you happy with ReplayTV enough to recommend it to all of your friends.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I voted extremely satisfied, but have to add that it's still not perfect (especially the tuner, but I don't want to get into that again.)

But I wouldn't recommend this to someone who wasn't somewhat tech savvy; or knew someone who was to help out when the inevitable glitch comes up...the software just ain't there yet.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I guess it has to do with the tech-saviness and "fault tolerance" of the friend. I have recommended the 5040 to a couple of colleagues at work (an engineer and a programmer). There is no way I could recommend a 5040 to my parents...for them I recommend a Showstopper.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This needs another choice:

"I once recommended ReplayTV without hesitation but, with their recent record, I have serious reservations about recommending any new ReplayTV products"

I'm responsible for a lot of previous ReplayTV sales. But the recent problems have made me reconsider. In fact, several of the people to whom I recommended ReplayTV had big problems and probably won't trust my recomendations again.

--Fox

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to say that I'm reasonably happy with my ReplayTV 5060 so far, but it definitely doesn't seem to be as bulletproof as my friends' DirecTivo Series 1s. And judging from the number of complaints here, I worry that quality control is a real issue right now. Then again, users with working boxes don't say much about them :) Also, I haven't read the Tivo forums since buying an RTV, so they could be having a lot of QC problems also.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I have turned on more than 20 friends and family to the ReplayTV brand. The only good thing I have going for me.... I did this before the 4k line.

Since the 5k lines I have even suggested friends stay back for a while until the whole DNNA thing settles out.

I've said it before. If DNNA doesn't right this ship in the very near future I'll be leaving the replayTV family. So, that's about as strong a non-referral as I can make.

3k post working with other replayTV users, helping some and I'm about to walk. I'm at the end of my rope.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Well I am sure everyone is sick and tired of hearing it, but I haven't had a single problem with my 2 5k series units. As such I do recommend them to people (and the 2 people that bought based on my recommendation haven't had a problem yet either).

Of course it someone has DirecTV I usually recommend they get a combo box.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would agree that there needs to be at least one more option. I am very satisfied with my ReplayTV but have had a couple problems. I would, and have, recommended to my Tech savvy friends but not to someone like my Dad who bought a DVD player two years ago but still hasn't used it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe a topic should be added saying I would only recommend if it had all the orginal features. LIke CA and IVS. I still recommend but I recommend them to ebay and not to DNNA. So I don't know what to answer in this poll!

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
One problem with the options:

since a curmudgeon has NO friends........

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I think Bayside pretty well nailed it from my perspective.

Yeah, there's no farkin' way that I'd recommend a ReplayTV to a friend anymore, but since I make a concerted effort not to trouble my life with friends, no one's asking.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
I think we should start a poll asking about what options to put in this poll.
Let's take a poll on whether we should start a poll asking about what options to put in this poll.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought the questions were pretty much straight forward. Simply show the degree of satisfaction each one has with their machines. 1) will recommend 2) probably recommend 3) probably NOT recommend 4) would NOT recommend. Basically its a scale of 1 to 4, with 1 being extremely satisfied and 4 being extremely unsatisfied.

If the poll questions are too hard..........perhaps I should have used the Tivo thumbs up method of voting. 1 Thumb to 4 Thumbs to make it easier for some to sort out their "touchy feely" side.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Thumbs would never work. To use a thumb means first having to remove it from.......

·
Registered
678 Posts
they've gotta' make it work right outa' the box.

I can't recomend the ReplayTV 5000 series until they fix the lock-up problems. Love the 4500's though! I hope the 5000's live up to their potential, eventually.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I still think this thread says a lot, I had the same feeling about the "thumbs".

If you got folks who've been around replayTV for 3+ years saying "HELL NO" on a recommendation, you don't need to ask any further.

DNNA is doing a great disservice to itself and their customers if the 5500 has software that freezes for even ONE customer. I haven't seen a 5500, but I suspect the build 110 problems the rest of us have had are still in there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have recommended ReplayTV profusely to friends, but recent developments make me more wary. I love my two 4532s, but am VERY concerned at the APPALLING customer service. The MyReplayTV servers have been down for at least two days without any comment from the company. How difficult would it be for them to make some public comment. I am travelling and extremely frustrated that i can't set up and check recordings from afar.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DAtherton
I have recommended ReplayTV profusely to friends, but recent developments make me more wary. I love my two 4532s, but am VERY concerned at the APPALLING customer service. The MyReplayTV servers have been down for at least two days without any comment from the company. How difficult would it be for them to make some public comment. I am travelling and extremely frustrated that i can't set up and check recordings from afar.
I agree D. DNNA uses myreplaytv.com as a selling point, yet when its down, they clam up and never tell its customers what is going on, an ETA on getting the problem solved, or even what the problem is. Its as if myreplaytv.com is the Bas***d child and has been this way since its conception (pun intended):rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.