AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tronn's been posting some nice deals on reconditioned 360s in the Deals thread.

What do you guys think? Worth the risk? I really want one to put upstairs and use mainly to stream content, netflix etc. Which means I really only need an Arcade right?

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
If you're only using it for streaming and playback, then an Arcade should suit those needs.

I'd pay the $200 for the Arcade that comes with the Jasper chip. Most of those refurbs only have 90 day warranties, and judging by my luck with 360's, that's not worth it in my book.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point, especially on the Jasper chip end. I forgot that these refurbs would most likely not have that chip.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Somtimes the potential for mental aggrivationis not worth the dollars saved. For example, if these 'reconditioned' Xbox's are not reconditioned from MS, then the seals are broken, and the Xbox would not honor the the 3 year RRoD warrentee. On the other hand, =maybe it was a bad drive, or fan or something, that got replaced, and the box would be as good as new. Maybe the joystick has crappy button. To me some things are worth the 'risk' and others are not. reconditioned Xbox's are not (the only one I would consider as a good potential value are elites for $200 or so, since the 120G HDD is in itself worth a lot, thus making the overall risk of the Xbox $100. In the worse case scenario, broken Xbox's (without HDD) fetch some decent $ on Ebay so your out of pocket 'loss' would potentially be minimal (as the joystick itself is worth $25-30, and the optical dongle also could fetch some $). Plus some people prefer Black boxes, which might end up being fazed out soon anyways if the Pro model get replaced with the elite specs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts