AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a way to record regular DirectTV programming from the built-in tuner in the RCA 38" or 61". There doesn't appear to be correct hookups to accomplish this basic need.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I am sure that you could get access to the signal with some effort but why bother when the Directivo units are so cheap? You would never have a dual tuner capability, etc. Art

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're specifically wondering if there is a way to record from the built in direct TV tuner in these RCA tvs. Regardless of whether it's on to a tivo or a standard old fashioned vcr. The hookups don't seem to allow it?? Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the 61' and I was wondering the same thing. I would just like to record or use a TIVO. I would like to record regular stuff and if possible Hi-Def stuff to.

Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Think about it this way. How many regular TVs have any type of video out? None that I've seen. When you record to a VCR you use the VCR's tuiner. So having to use and external recording device (Directv/TIVO) with its own tuner is the norm rather than the exception.

-Paul

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks Paul for the different perspective. I guess we all get caught up with technology that we almost forget the standards. Though I believe we will one day see a version of this TV w/some outputs. I will consider buying a TIVO/DirecTV combo in the near future. But until then.....I will be enjoying my HDTV

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Todd.

I appreciate the explanation re. scan freq. This certainly doesn't help in the effort to sell these Rca's though! Hopefully the newer mitsus and sonys with built in tuners will remedy the situation by either having two drivers (if such a thing is possible) or two built in DirectTV tuners!

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,624 Posts
Many TV's have a composite or S-Video monitor (& stereo audio) output.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.