AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about building an HTPC that can also play some current video games. I've never used Vista Media Center before and I was wondering if I tell it to record some HDTV program at a specific time and I happen to be playing a game during the program, will it record the program in the background and not interrupt my game?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack /forum/post/12882053

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about building an HTPC that can also play some current video games. I've never used Vista Media Center before and I was wondering if I tell it to record some HDTV program at a specific time and I happen to be playing a game during the program, will it record the program in the background and not interrupt my game?

Thanks in advance.

Depending on your setup I dont see why not, depending on the overhead of Vista? At least it shouldnt be a problem if you have a multi-core/processor system.

I use WatchHDTV in XP and capture HD content to a SATA drive via my Aver A180 while playing Team Fortress 2 from an IDE drive just fine all the time. Recording the HDTV alone only uses about 3% of one of the cores on my Athlon64x2-6000. No drop outs/stutters/etc in any video I've recorded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info fcorona76, I'm sure the hardware can handle it. I just wanted to make sure the Vista's Media Center would not launch and disrupt my game play.

So when Media Center begins recording, will it launch or will it just record in the background and not have any visible indication that it is recording?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
That's where I have no experience. If VMC is running as a silent service then it shouldnt affect gameplay. But if it has pop-overs or some kind of alert that forces itself to be priority in the system it may force your game to minimize if/when it does.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack /forum/post/12882484

Thanks for the info fcorona76, I'm sure the hardware can handle it. I just wanted to make sure the Vista's Media Center would not launch and disrupt my game play.

So when Media Center begins recording, will it launch or will it just record in the background and not have any visible indication that it is recording?

I feel confident it will not launch, last night I was recording a program and MCE locked up on me, I finally went into task manager and killed it, the recording never stopped, I then relaunched MCE and went into recorded shows and selected the program that was recording and it was fine and never missed a beat, so you can actually kill media center while a recording is being made and it doesn't even bother it. Also I've recorded several programs and was doing something else and MCE did not launch, I just noticed the Red Recording light was on in the tray.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts