AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me if this is a oft repeated question.

I have been reading as much as I can find, including the faq's and specific manufacturers sites and still cannot find a definitive answer to my PVR question.

I want to install and set up a PVR to record my favorite Direct TV (DSS) channels, but I know (as far as I can find) that no tuner cards are DSS tuners. So is something like this possible?

I suspect that a remote IR led could be used to change channels on the Direct TV reciever, but have not seen this feature on any cards.

So if anyone can point me in a direction where something like this is possible, or is it not?

Thanks for any help.

:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm new to HTPC but I do have an aswer for you. I'm using SageTV with the PVR-250 and the IR200L to control my Samsung TS-160 DirecTV receiver and it works, although changing channels is kinda slow... here's the link for the bundles available at SageTV and the IR200L that works with DirecTV receivers.

As for cards that can accept DirecTV feed, not possible, maybe for security reason, you do need the access card I guess, hopefully someone will make one for us DirecTV cutomers. Digital cable customers have the same problem too.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions, I'm still learning all the HTPC stuff...

Jamal

·
Registered
779 Posts
Easy way...

Buy a direct Tivo.

A bit harder: add an ethernet port to the direct tivo and download to your server

hardcore:

Modify your STB to add a firewire out and record with dvhtools.

www.169time.com

be prepared to spend a lot of money on the last solution, but you can record satellite HD.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The eazy way is

1: WinTV-PVR 250/350

2: SageTV or SnapStream Media Personal Video Station or one of the other 3rdparty tools for WinTV-PVR 250/350.

3: Actisys ACT IR-200L but this will depend on the satellite receiver you have some have support for controlling DirecTV set-top boxes via the serial port or low-speed data port like RCA DirecTV satellite receivers and Sony DirecTV satellite receiver do.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok last question.

Will that Sage TV app. work with HDtuner cards such as HiPix and so forth?

I assume it will but could not see anywhere cards listed as compatable.

EDIT:

I found the info. looks like it doesnt' work with the HD cards. :(

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
They (Sage) are working on one, but they will not tell anyone which card they are working with :( They have released beta code so the Hipix can act as an external encoder. I don't own one so I can not say how well it works or is controlled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.