AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this has already been covered, but I didn't find anything related to my problem when doing a search.

I really like the "record on networked replay" function of the 5040, but find that it doesn't work reliably. It will tell me the program I have selected to record is already set up to record on another one of my replay's, but with different record options.....no, actually, it's not.

Upon continuing, it doesn't always give me the option of all the other replay's on the network, usually misses one or two.

In the case where it gives me the option for the replay I want to set the record on, it sometimes lists incomplete options. For example, the option to record a show on the FX network off of my cable feed, but not the option of recording the show off of my directv feed for the FX channel.

I have 6 replays on my network, they are all able to "see" each other for streaming purposes. I'm wondering if this is part of the issue, the number of replays on the network? I know my buddy with two replay 5040's hasn't experienced any problems with this feature.

If this is an issue that anyone else has run into I'd appreciate the confirmation that I'm not the only one seeing the problem. Maybe the new "Alcatraz" release will address the issue upon release, but for now I find I still have to go from room to room to set up records just like I did with the 4504's.

Todd

P.S. I just started using the 5040's, major upgrade over the weekend swapping out for my previous 4504's, just in time for the fall season! If anyone is looking to get a 4504 with lifetime service pm me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have seen this problem on my network of two 5xxx's. Usually what I have to do is reboot the box that I tried to record on and the problem goes away. Hopefully this will be fixed in a later version of the software, we'll have to wait and see.

Mark

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I see this problem about 20% or the time. Usually if I just try again, it sets properly.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
And somewhere it has been mentioned that home networks should be limited to 3 Replays. Can anyone shed any light on that assertion?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I got this message yesterday, so I checked the networked RTV I was trying to set the record on. It turns out there was a conflict with a different preexisting recording that was set up, but the warning message led me to believe that the SAME program was set to record on the networked RTV. This sounds like a GUI bug to me...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
And somewhere it has been mentioned that home networks should be limited to 3 Replays. Can anyone shed any light on that assertion?
Where?

I have 4 ReplayTVs on my home network, and no problems.....and I've scheduled where it showed the other three as being available to handle a recording. And, it looks like the list screen could handle more.....

The Dreamer

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did see mention of a supposed limitation to the number of ReplayTV's on a home network, though I can't say where at this point. I want to say it was somewhere in the documentation for DVArchive.

I've got 5 replays, and 2 dvarchive servers on my network, and haven't seen any issues to speak of. There is the not-so-common occurance of networked replay recording issues, but it always seems to fix itself on the second try...

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I have not seen any limitations either.

The case where the replay give you 2 of your 4 replays to record on remotely this is what I know... the replay you are on won't be in the list, and any other replays with conflicts in that time range won't show up as options either. If all other replays have stuff that conflicts you'll get a message no other replays are available to record.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks like something *like* that is in the DVArchive troubleshooting doc. Note that it says reliably, not altogether broken. I guess I would agree with the fact that certain rtpv to rptv 'stuff' is flaky at times :)

Quoted from DVArchive 2.1 Troubleshooting.txt:

"NOTE: ReplayTV units seem to only be able to reliably handle two other

ReplayTV devices on the network (i.e. 3 today RTV-esque devices). If

you have more than that, then one or more devices may never show up.

Reduce the number of RTV devices real ReplayTVs and DVArchives that

have a server running to 3. You may have to reboot the the RTVs after

exceeding three to get them to work again. You can run other copies

of DVArchive as long as the DVArchive Server is disabled (i.e. for

streaming shows, downloading shows, etc)."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.