AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as i woke up after the upgrade i started playing with the new features. I immediately tried recording from the buffer, after a show had been on for 36 minutes, and found that it actually recorded 36 minutes of the buffer. The help screen says that you are only supposed to be able to record a maximum of 30 minutes from the buffer.

So, i next had another hour long show on for 54 minutes and then pressed record and then immediately stopped the recording. When i checked My Shows i found that i actually had recorded the full 54 minutes from the buffer!

Evidently, you can record as long a time from the buffer as you could pause with that same percentage of space full. If you are less than 80 or 85 percent full you will have around 2 hours worth of buffer and you could record from the buffer an entire 2 hour movie that you had just watched live. This is fantastic!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would think that it has more to do with the Program length in the guide than actual buffer length. If you tune to NBC tonight at 8 and let it buffer, I am willing to bet that if you press record between 8:30 and 9, you will only record Scrubs, it won't tack Friends onto the beginning of the recording, even though it is in the buffer. Since I won't be getting 3.7 until sometime after Cinco de Mayo, someone else will have to test my theory:)

·
Registered
354 Posts
You picked a really bad night to use this example. Friends is supposed to run 5 minutes overtime then be followed by a rerun of Friends.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveNinja
But after 8:30 could you rewind into friends and record it?

I think that you'll find out that you are correct. If you press "record" while on a show in the buffer, it will record that show, and any others until the show currently "live" ends. If you press record on a show in the buffer that is still "live", it will only record the one show.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
i still don't understand how this works.

are you telling me that if I switch to a channel and i see a show playing that I like that already started, I can hit record and I will get all of the show allowing for space?

that sounds impossible because it would have to be buffering all channels.

if this feature only applies to the channel you are on, then i find it not as useful. i guess there might be times when i happen to turn on the tv and there is something interesting going on. but i just don't use it that way.

still neat feature though and one day i will be glad it's there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The feature does apply only to the channel you're watching (and possibly any in PIP, but I never use that).

I know some of the times I've been watching a show live (not too often, though, I try to record then watch) and say, hmmm, this is something my wife would like. The ability to record back to the beginning will be very handy for that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This morning i recorded 2 different consecutive hour long shows from the same channel from the buffer. I had tuned to a certain channel when i had gone to sleep. After i woke up i rewound until the beginning of the buffer, which was 2 1/2 hours long with almost 1/2 hour of show A, 1 full hour of show B and almost 1 full hour of show C. I then fast forwarded to the point after show B had been on for 45 minutes and then pressed record to see what would happen. I then stopped recording and checked My Shows. To my surprise, and delight, it actually recorded the entire show B and all of show C that had been on so far. I actually had a recording nearly 2 hours in length with the entire hour of show B and all of show C which had been on so far, which was almost another additional hour. So, i actually had recorded nearly 2 hours from the buffer with 2 different shows on the same channel!

My disk space was at 83% full at the time i was able to go back 2 1/2 hours backwards in the buffer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can you record only a part of the show in the buffer? I find myself watching something and then wanting to save it, but not the whole show - only a part.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scifispy
I actually had a recording nearly 2 hours in length with the entire hour of show B and all of show C which had been on so far, which was almost another additional hour. So, i actually had recorded nearly 2 hours from the buffer with 2 different shows on the same channel!
How was this listed in MyShows?: 2 separate listings or 1 combination (naming only the first or the second?).

·
Registered
524 Posts
The recording buffer was designed to be enabled from "LiVe" in which case it will go back to the beginning of the buffer or show which ever comes first and save from that point forward then continue to record...

In short "I like this show I wish I had recorded it..." :D

That's it... any thing else in unpredictable.. an spec'd to be good up to 30 minutes however I have been successful with some movies well up to 2 hours with 120 gb drive system which may or may not not make a difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I take it that was a no to my question? I think that would be a nice addition - the ability to edit what you have recorded.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by watching
How was this listed in MyShows?: 2 separate listings or 1 combination (naming only the first or the second?).
It was listed in My Shows as one combination listing with the name of both shows.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LongRufus
I wonder what it would have done if you hit record while you were still in show A?
If i had hit record while i had rewound to show A, of which i had just buffered the last half hour, it would have recorded the last half hour of show A and all of show B and all of show C.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by maloney
Can you record only a part of the show in the buffer? I find myself watching something and then wanting to save it, but not the whole show - only a part.
Perhaps this capability may one day appear on pvr software for pcs, but i doubt that it will ever be on hardware pvrs unless pvrs were to reach a much greater degree of popularity than they have so far. The sales of pvrs are only around 1/4 of what they were projected to be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wrb

That's it... any thing else in unpredictable.. an spec'd to be good up to 30 minutes however I have been successful with some movies well up to 2 hours with 120 gb drive system which may or may not not make a difference.
The amount of free disk space you have is what determines the size of your buffer. I have a 35 hour unit and was able to record 2 hours from the buffer in the above example and, at times when i have lots of space left, have been able to buffer almost 3 hours worth of shows.

A 35 hour unit, with a totally empty disk, might be able to buffer around 24 hours. An empty 120gb disk might be able to buffer around 80 hours worth of recordings, assuming that you can normally record around 80 hours of shows on a 120gb disk. I am not sure if there is any upper limit to how far back a buffer can go.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't recall ever being able to get over 2 1/2 hours I will check it again..

Findings....

I checked it again last night... 2-3 hours max with a 120 gb drive and 66% free!

When I recorded from beginning of buffer using reverse then immediately stop recording the file was 2 1/2 hours long in myshows which covered the end, all, and beginning of a series movies (258 FMC).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wrb
I don't recall ever being able to get over 2 1/2 hours I will check it again..

Findings....

I checked it again last night... 2-3 hours max with a 120 gb drive and 66% free!

When I recorded from beginning of buffer using reverse then immediately stop recording the file was 2 1/2 hours long in myshows which covered the end, all, and beginning of a series movies (258 FMC).
I have been taking note of my percentage full and the length of my buffer the past few mornings and gotten very strange results. I have the original 35 hour dirve.

Monday at 83% full the buffer was 2 hours 35 minutes.

Tuesday at 79% full the buffer was 2 hours 20 minutes.

Wednesday at 72% full the buffer was 2 hours 21 minutes.

So, in the past few mornings, the longest buffer length was when the drive was the most full at 83%. This makes no sense, it seems that the less full the drive was, the longer the buffer should be.

The longest buffer i have had on my 35 hour utv is 2 hours 50 minutes, but i have not been below 65% full since the first few weeks i had my utv, maybe i could get a longer buffer if the drive was less than 60% full.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scifispy
I have been taking note of my percentage full and the length of my buffer the past few mornings and gotten very strange results. I have the original 35 hour dirve.

Monday at 83% full the buffer was 2 hours 35 minutes.

Tuesday at 79% full the buffer was 2 hours 20 minutes.

Wednesday at 72% full the buffer was 2 hours 21 minutes.

So, in the past few mornings, the longest buffer length was when the drive was the most full at 83%. This makes no sense, it seems that the less full the drive was, the longer the buffer should be.

The longest buffer i have had on my 35 hour utv is 2 hours 50 minutes, but i have not been below 65% full since the first few weeks i had my utv, maybe i could get a longer buffer if the drive was less than 60% full.
The amount of empty space on your drive has virtually no effect on the size of your buffer. If your drive is 2% full or 82% full, the amount of space set aside for buffering LiveTV is nearly identical. The differences you are seeing have more to do with individual channels you are buffering and the levels of compression that DTV uses to broadcast them. One hour of HBO buffering will take up more space than one hour on your local network channels. Other factors like number of upcoming recordings scheduled and amount of time since your last power down can increase your buffer size slightly, but nothing significant. All of my UTV's have upgraded drives and even when empty, a 120GB drive will still not record 4 hours in the buffer. I can always get at least an hour and 50 minutes of buffering on every channel. Most channels are in the 2hr to 2.5 hr range. I have gotten over 3 hours on some channels, but have never broken the 4 hour mark. HTH.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.