AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy the equivalent of a VCR. With a little research I have found DVR devices which have very limited record times of aproximately 2, maybe 4 hours of decent quality recording, and the Tivo and similar type devices which required a monthly fee but offer much longer recording time.

I really do not want a service fee device or service. Is there anything else out there that will work with the new digital tv system and offer longer recording time without a service fee, at a reasonable price?

Which DVR media offers the longest record time? I am considering the Panasonic DMR EZ28K.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
A DVDR with a 160GB hard disk drive (HDD), like the Philips 3575/3576 or Magnavox H2160, can continuously record to the capacity of its HDD at ANY rec mode... a 160GB HDD can fit 33 hours at 1-hr-HQ rec mode up to 198 hours at 6-hr-SLP rec mode. That's for a manual rec where you pres REC. For a timer rec, there's a limit of 12-hrs for a single timer rec program.

For comparison, 1-hr of HQ rec will fill up a std DVD disc.

Click #1 in my signature for more info.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookey /forum/post/15522283

I am looking to buy the equivalent of a VCR. With a little research I have found DVR devices which have very limited record times of aproximately 2, maybe 4 hours of decent quality recording, and the Tivo and similar type devices which required a monthly fee but offer much longer recording time.

I really do not want a service fee device or service. Is there anything else out there that will work with the new digital tv system and offer longer recording time without a service fee, at a reasonable price?

Which DVR media offers the longest record time? I am considering the Panasonic DMR EZ28K.

With DVD recorders the longer the recording time the more there is a sacrifice in picture quality. I have one Panasonic DMR-EZ28 among my machines. With my criteria the EZ28 provides very good picture quality out to the LP speed (four hours per DVD).

I address your question in more detail in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post15522250

1 - 3 of 3 Posts