1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 article source

Recordable DVD Council to expand recordable DVD market

Friday, 19 September 2003

The Recordable DVD Council (RDVDC) has recently announced a number of measures to further accelerate the expansion of the DVD recording market. Among these moves, the RDVDC has created a new "RAM Compatible" logo to designate products capable of recording and playing back-- or just playing back--video images on DVD-RAM discs in the Video Recording Format.

The Video Recording Format was standardized by the DVD Forum in 1999, and is widely used allowing real-time recording, editing and playing back of audio and video data in both computer and consumer AV environment.

It also announced the establishment of the Compatibility Working Group to ensure interoperability of products using RDVDC-supported recordable DVD formats (DVD-RAM, DVD-R and DVD-RW).

With a growing number of companies manufacturing recordable DVD products, the RDVDC established the Compatibility Working Group to support newcomers to this market. The group also looks to encourage the development of new products, further ensuring the compatibility of recordable DVD products.

http://www.rdvdc.org/rogo_btn/img/r1.jpg http://www.rdvdc.org/rogo_btn/img/r2.jpg http://www.rdvdc.org/rogo_btn/img/r3.jpg

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Wonder what the RAM bashers will think of that. Hmm...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, first someone has to make a recorder that can put a vob video format on a dvd-ram. What for? So I can record side A and B of a laserdisc in XP quality, and bring over two dvd-rams to my PC, use dvdtoolbox and ifoedit to create a pair of titlesets, and let instant copy shrink these for a dvd-5. My bet is that this will look better than recording in SP mode.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ollie W. Holmes
Well, first someone has to make a recorder that can put a vob video format on a dvd-ram. What for? So I can record side A and B of a laserdisc in XP quality, and bring over two dvd-rams to my PC, use dvdtoolbox and ifoedit to create a pair of titlesets, and let instant copy shrink these for a dvd-5. My bet is that this will look better than recording in SP mode.
er.....

1) record on DVD-RAM @ Xp

2) take DVD-RAM to PC

3) move VRO file to HardDrive

4) use TMPGEnc DVD Author to edit VRO (it does) and trim ends

5) use TMPGEnc DVD Author to make title sets

6) IC to your hearts content..

you DON'T NEED A VOB...

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Ditto... TMPGEnc DVD Author does all this (including the editing and trimming) losslessly from a vro source file (it will even extract the marker information from the ifo file and create chapter stops automatically)!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
Among these moves, the RDVDC has created a new "RAM Compatible" logo to designate products capable of recording and playing back-- or just playing back--video images on DVD-RAM discs in the Video Recording Format.
Do the Panasonic recorders (e.g. DMR-E80) use the "Video Recording Format" for their DVD-RAM recordings?

I know that there are also Panasonic players (one under $100) that will play their own DVD-RAMs.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
All Panasonici DVD recorders use DVD-VR/Video Record mode (vro files) vice DVD-Video mode (vob files) when recording to DVD-RAM and to the HDD. Panasonic DVD-R dubs from the HDD or recordings straight to DVD-R use DVD-Video mode.

Vic

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think that means "yes"?? That the current Panasonic DVD-RAM capable recorders would quality for the "RAM Compatible" logo?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I thought the answer was obvious. How's this: Yes, they would qualify (assuming that's what you meant to type) for the logo. The way the press release reads, all the current Panasonic PLAYERS would also qualify for the logo.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It wasn't obvious because "video record mode" and "Video Recording Format" are subtly different. Just like the various DVD+/- combinations, even if something sounds the same it's not necessarily so.

thanks for the answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.