AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I watch a show marked "DD 5.1" live, my receiver (Denon 3801) displays that it is playing in DD5.1, and I can clearly hear that it is.

However, if I record a show that is marked "DD 5.1", then play it back, my receiver does not detect DD 5.1, and instead plays it back in Dolby Pro Logic. I'm pretty certain I have the receiver set up correctly. It's using the optical digital audio in from the RCA UTV box, and is set to "Dolby" mode, in which it auto-detects DD or DPL signals.

Any help?

Thanks,

Nathan

·
Registered
657 Posts
Could you be more specific, which channel did you record from? There is not a lot of DD 5.1 to begin with... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

StarzEast, PPV (1 or 2 at best) and I understand HBO.. I can't comment on HBO as I don't subscribe to HBO..

U-571 is airing as I type on STZE 520..

When UTV records a DD 5.1 data stream it is saved to the hard disk in addition to the PCM audio data. The switch in settings just turns off the DD playback for those not having a DD ready A/V receiver.

Grem...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is your UTV set to output PCM or DD on the optical outputs? It must be maually set since outputing a DD bitstream to a decode/receiver expecting PCM can cause a lot of problems. The default is PCM.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
as an FYI, I recorded Band Of Brothers on HBO Sunday in 5.1 and it replayed in 5.1 fine... Must be in your setup?

------------------

Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to your assurances that movies will in fact record in DD, I re-re-rechecke all my setup variables. Everything was okay, so I tested it again. Turns out my test was the problem. During "pause", the receiver no longer recognizes the DD bitstream, and therefore switches to Pro Logic mode. If I had simply checked the readout while the movie was playing, I could have spared you all some time :{

In any case, everything works great!

Thanks again for your help!

Nathan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.