AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Connecticut station on/or near the WCBS-DT (D2.1) frequency is blocking the signal from WCBS-DT (D2.1) in the Long Island area, specifically Hicksville, NY.

This effects my 2 DVD/VHS recorders (Sony RDR-VXD655), but not my 2 Sony Bravia HDTVs (KDL40V3000 & KDL32S3000). An antenna (Winegard HD7084P) is used for reception.

About 3 weeks ago, we had an approximately 1 minute electrical power interruption. The 2 recorders completely reboot when a power interruption occurs, including a complete digital channel search. The search picked up Connecticut station instead of WCBS.

I have been running AUTO PRESET on the recorders each day since I first discovered the problem, but to no avail.

Any ideas or advice?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
For some inexplicable reason, the ATSC/QAM tuners built into televisions are significantly better than the tuners built into all DVD recorders. The televisions can ride out little quirks like frequencies changing or adjacent channel interference coming and going, while the recorders pretty much give up entirely at the slightest hint of a problem. One of the least effective things you can do in a situation like this is re-scan the channels on the recorder, because it almost always makes matters worse. Having done this, you're stuck, because your recorders are now firmly locked onto the interfering Connecticut station.

There are tricks you can try, but you need to be careful because they might screw up the perfect reception you're getting directly on the TVs. What you want to do is trick the balky recorder tuners into re-locking on the proper New York channel, then put everything back the way it was. Its best to keep the main TVs turned off during these adjustments, to avoid changing their currently effective settings. If you have or can borrow a smaller separate TV to use as a monitor, plug that into the recorder outputs instead.

The first thing to try is aiming the Winegard antenna more toward the New York transmitter until the recorder tuners can lock onto the station clearly enough for you to preset them and delete the CT "interloper". The recorder should have some sort of "add/delete channel" feature that lets you do this for just the one station without having to re-scan all the channels, if not just do a rescan until you can get all your stations preset. Then, return the Winegard to its normal orientation and see if the New York CBS channel still comes thru- it should. If not, you'll need to do more elaborate tinkering similar to what wajo recommends for Magnavox DVD recorders : see this link for some ideas. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WCBS-DT broadcasts on UHF Channel 33. However, the station uses the Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP) to display WCBS-TV as virtual channel 2.1. A virtual channel, is a channel designation which differs from that of the actual radio channel (or range of frequencies) on which the signal travels.

I found this information on AntennaWeb:

WCBS-DT 2.1 CBS NEW YORK, NY 278° 25.7 33

So the problem was that, when the recorders reset after the power interruption, they locked on to the actual UHF channels rather than the virtual channel. WCBS-DT is on D33.1 on the recorders. However, it continues as D2.1 of the HDTVs.

I don't know, nor do I care, why this situation exists as long as I have the ability to record programs form WCBS-DT.

Thank you for your assistance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.