AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DVD sells its industry greatly on the durability of its product; however, on many occasiosn with my Philips DVDR80 DVD Recorder I have burned a DVD of a television show only for the recorder to subsequently say "no disk" when I attempt to play the recording. Even though the recorder was apparently burning the whole length of the recording, I can not play the disk. Usually this happens when I first attempt to play the recorded disk, but at other times the disk which was once playable now becomes unplayable due to the "no disk" problem.

The disks (DVD+R) have not been damaged. Does anyone know the reason for this, and if I can someone recover the data or make it playable? As an example, I recorded the half-time show of the superbowl made famous by Janet Jackson, but the show was recorded on disk two of three I used to record the game, and although disk one and three are playable, disk two just says "no disk". Very frustrating and really raises concerns about preserving valuable data when it may all of a sudden be not playable. At least with VCR's we didn't have this problem. Have others experienced this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The Philips models have been notoriously unreliable; it's usually due to a failing laser assembly. The first generation models (1500, 1000, and 985) were particularly known for this.

My guess is to try those discs in a different player (not recorder) to see if they are still playable or not. If they are then it's definitely the recorder, and not the disc.

I think it was you who posted about how your Philips DVDR80 died before you could finalize many of your discs. Someone posted in there about how you can use software to recover the data.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
The first question that almost anyone here will ask you is, what brand of media were you using? In the world of blank DVD media, the cheap stuff is so bad as to be almost useless, and can fade quickly. So, what brand of media are/were you using?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy
The first question that almost anyone here will ask you is, what brand of media were you using? In the world of blank DVD media, the cheap stuff is so bad as to be almost useless, and can fade quickly. So, what brand of media are/were you using?
Normally, I would first blame the media before the machine.

However, the moment the original poster mentioned that these were made on a Philips machine, from my own experiences with the DVDR-985 I would be more likely to blame the machine than the discs themselves.

The original poster already mentioned in this thread that his DVDR80 was dying (or already died) and he's in a jam because he's got numerous unfinalized discs.

When the Philips recorders start to go, the FIRST indication is that it won't recognize any DVD+R's, blank or recorded, finalized or not, even if made on that machine. The symptoms that the original poster mentions brings back a lot of (bad) memories for me.

That's why I said to try those discs on a different player first (assuming they have been finalized). If they play, it's not the disc.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I understand, RonDawg. I did read the thread you are referring to ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=572644 ) but I failed to notice that the OP was the same in both that one and this thread. I should have said under normal circumstances the media would be the prime suspect. I don't have any first-hand experience with Philips machines, so I was not aware of this common failure mode.

Thanks for the info. I always like it when I can learn something new.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input. This experience was not a new one with my Philips recorder. Rather, an experience that would intermittently occur throughout the life of the recorder. I always use name brand DVD+R, usually what's on sale (Fuji; Philips; Verbatim; Imation; etc. (I try to stay away from Memorex because I have had problems with its disks. Others have problems with Memorex?)

To update the situation regarding finalizing disks, I plugged the defective DVDR80 back in, and found that I could still finalize the disks; that is, if they were readable. I was looking forward to watching an old Jay Leno from a while ago that featured the woman from T3 and was disappointed to get the "no disk" message. So at this point I can not even finalize the disk, but given it's "no disk" status that's probably a moot point.

So apparently this is largely a Philps problem? I tell you this recorder is a piece of junk, a true beta machine. Not only that , but Philips blatantly lied about its capabilities. And Philips won't even admit it. For example, when I brought up the lack of a satellite mouse, they told me that the feature was only for European models, even though the box has the feature prominently displayed. I should have taken up One Call on their offer to accept a return and give me a refund because they agreed Philips was deceptive in its advertising. Ane while I am ranting, I didn't know whether to laugh or get steamed when I saw Philips latest commercials with the baby talking about why can't everything be as simple as a Philips DVD recorder. More lies by Philips. Steer clear of this company.

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you have discs that are unreadable on the set top, you might be able to recover the data on the PC using Isobuster. I had some unfinalized +R discs from a dead machine that I was able to recover with the limited feature free version of Isobuster. It found the VIDEO_TS folder which could be extracted to the PC for reauthoring and burning. I have some other discs that may be recoverable with the full featured pay version of Isobuster. On those, the VIDEO_TS folder is not found but Isobuster can detect mpeg files and extract them from the incomplete folder structure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
igreg,

I ran into a Philips "no disk" or "unknown data" problem with my DVDR 75 a

while back. If the unit will read other (store-bought ) disks, you might try letting

it warm up for an hour or so before reading the problem disks.

I was able to read 4 out of 5 problem disks after a 1 hr warm-up.

All 5 were readable after 1:45.

In my case, new TY disks were problematic, while all my other (older) media

(memorex) had no probs at all.

I thought it might be a laser problem or maybe a new higher-speed dye reflectivity

issue.

hope this helps

mikel

Here are the results:.. ( ND = NO DISK .. UD = UNKNOWN DATA )

-- COLD 15min 30min 45min 1hr 1:15 1:30 1:45 2:00

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISK

1 - ND -- UD -- ND -- OK - OK - OK - OK - OK - OK

2 - UD -- UD -- ND -- OK - OK - OK - OK - OK - OK

3 - ND -- ND -- ND -- OK - OK - OK - OK - OK - OK

4 - UD -- ND -- ND -- ND - ND - ND - ND - OK - OK

5 - ND -- ND -- OK -- ND - OK - OK - OK - OK - OK

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnycrest
If you have discs that are unreadable on the set top, you might be able to recover the data on the PC using Isobuster. I had some unfinalized +R discs from a dead machine that I was able to recover with the limited feature free version of Isobuster. It found the VIDEO_TS folder which could be extracted to the PC for reauthoring and burning. I have some other discs that may be recoverable with the full featured pay version of Isobuster. On those, the VIDEO_TS folder is not found but Isobuster can detect mpeg files and extract them from the incomplete folder structure.
Thanks for idea, but my computer DVD drive (DVD+R) will not recognize the "no disk" DVDs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg
Thanks for idea, but my computer DVD drive (DVD+R) will not recognize the "no disk" DVDs.
Try CD/DVD Diagnostic . You can download a free evaluation version which will show you what files could be recovered (you would have to buy the program to actually recover anything).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Igreg,

I noted in your first post that you said your Philips was apparently "burning the whole length of the recording". Did you just put a blank in, then push "Record", to let the machine burn until the end of the disk (much like we all do on VCR's)? If so, that MIGHT be part of your problem. Seems that DVD recorders (table top or PC) need space on the disk to burn the table of contents. If you record to the full capacity of the disk, there is no room for the TOC when the recorder reaches the end of the disc. Just a thought.

I have a Philips DVDR985, and I burned a BUNCH of coasters doing the very same thing until I recently learned the above information.

Also, I found that my Philips is partial to Verbatim blanks. I tried some Ritek, and a Fuji. It just plain wouldn't recognize the Riteks, and the program recorded on the Fuji jumped, hiccuped, and stalled.

Lakeside

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.