AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the Panasonic DMR-E80H and it's capabilities. I've been wanting TIVO like technology (HDD recording) for quite some time now, but living in Canada no such thing has ever been available, at least in the area I live. I would also like to get Shaw Digital Cable which would come through a Motorola DCT2000 tuner, but the problem has always been how to get a recording device to control the cable box. Are there any DVD/HDD recorders out there similar to the Panasonic which have IR cable box control abilities? Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
The Philips DVDR 80 has an IR blaster for cable boxes.

I have the DVDR75 (no blaster) but my Directv receiver has a nice channel changing timer function so I don't need a blaster.

I love my 75...nice features and great recordings for the price.

G

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting. Looks good but I can't tell if it has a HDD (important) or not from the literature on the Philips website.

FWIW, my ideal recorder must have:

- IR "blaster" (ie: cable box control)

- 60+ GB HDD (bigger is better)

- DVD Recording (RW would be nice but optional)

- Built in TV tuner (like a VCR naturally)

- Good Timer Funtions (Panasonic allows for 32 "programs", my Sony VCR only has 8 such slots)

Like I said the Panasonic is great, but has no cable box control which would make things very difficult (not to mention frustrating) for me because my wife and I watch a lot of shows. I really hope there is something out there that fits my needs or will be coming out soon. I really want to get rid of my VHS stuff, especially so I can have big capacity and not have to set the VCR every other day. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Unfortunately none of the Philip Recorders incorporate Hard Disk Drives yet. You may want to look at the newer Sony, Pioneer and Toshiba HDD-Based DVD-Recorders.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Outcast-

Enjoy that great DCT2000 box with your "digital" cable. No component outputs or digital audio outputs are included. The box even has the "Dolby" logo on it for some reason, but the reason escapes me at the moment.

I also wanted my VCR to control the DCT2000 since it has a "cable mouse" on it, but I could not find a code that would work. And the DCT2000 does not have built-in timers so you were SOL on timer recordings unless you recorded the same channel.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
This brings to mind a question I've had for a while...

does this piece of software exist (or the components to do it).

1) will control an IR Blaster attached to a PCserial/usb port

2) acts as a 'universal'/'teachable' remote for multiple IR Control sets

3) acts as a 'scheduler' that can be given 'scripts' to execute at a certain time.

for example:

IRdevice1 = E301 = E* 301 receiver

IRdevice2 = DCT2 = DCT2000 cable box

IRdevice3 = E80H = Panasonic E80H

script

@19:24 on 092003

E80H ON /* turn on early to give it time to 'wakeup'

@19:26 on 092003

E301 ON

E80H L1-INPUT

E80H HDD-RECORD

@19:27 on 092003

E301 COMEDYCENTRAL

E80H RECORD

@20:02

E80H STOP

E301 OFF

@20:27

DCT2 ON

@20:28

E80H L2-INPUT

DCT2 HBOW

E80H RECORD

@21:32

E80 STOP

DCT2 OFF

E80 OFF

ON, OFF, RECORD, STOP, L1-INPUT, L2-INPUT, COMEDYCENTRAL, HBO2W are 'defined macros' for the device in question to perform those actions.

The software would have to be capable of learning all of the above functions...

or.. a piece of software that could control a Pronto connected to the PC by it's up/download cable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHuff
Outcast-

Enjoy that great DCT2000 box with your "digital" cable. No component outputs or digital audio outputs are included. The box even has the "Dolby" logo on it for some reason, but the reason escapes me at the moment.

I also wanted my VCR to control the DCT2000 since it has a "cable mouse" on it, but I could not find a code that would work. And the DCT2000 does not have built-in timers so you were SOL on timer recordings unless you recorded the same channel.
Yeah, I've played with the DCT2000 in the past and it does kind of suck. Unfortunately it's the only option where I live if I want to be able to view some of the extra channels my provider offers. The alternative I had been considering was the Bell Express Vu system which has a tuner/pvr unit, but I live in an apartment with no where to put a dish really, plus I played with the program listings / event timer in store and wasn't too pleased (it listed shows only a day or two in advance).

Looks like I'll be waiting up to another year or more for this technology to mature. I've been looking at all the brands recommended, and it's all hit or miss (mostly miss). One will have everything I want, but no HDD. Most only have an 1 year/8 event timer just like my VCR which I already hate setting every other day because it's so limited. Don't know why this is being held over from old technology on so many DVD recorders (Panasonic has a 32(!) event timer). Yet another will be missing just the cable box control (like the wonderful Panasonic), and based on your recent post, even if it was present it may not work. I just want one simple unit that does it all and gets it right. I am leaning towards the Panasonic since it would work fine with my current analog cable, but I just know as soon as I buy it what I'm really looking for will come out. The lack of box control would be a hassle, but I suppose I could live with it... sigh. So hard to decide what to do.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The other way I can think about is using your old VCR cable IR mouse to send the signal and putting a dummy tape in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.