AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to record a 3 hour High Def movie on a JVC 30K deck, via firewire? I'm usign SVHS tapes. Should I use a T120 in "standard" mode or get a T180 tape instead? What's the difference between "HS" and "Standard"? Will I see a difference?

Thanks,

Marc.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Best way would be to use a DF420 tape in HS mode. HS has twice the data rate as standard, for HD material you will notice fewer artifacts and mpeg noise, so I would definately find a way to record it in HS. For standard definition TV I see little difference between HS and STD, but for HD broadcasts STD is too low to capture the data at the rate it is sent by the provider, so there will be a drop in quality.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
You can only record HD in HS mode. If you try STD, you will get a blank screen.

An SVHS T-180 will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, for the info guys. What's the best place online to get DFE420 tapes?

Marc.

·
Registered
800 Posts
For practical purposes, if you're recording HD, HS is the only speed you can use.

You can use a DF-420 D-VHS tape, or a JVC ST-210 S-VHS tape. You can also use a DF-360 tape (they're not sold in the North America but you should be able to get them from Japanese sources such as p r i c e j a p a n .com).

There are also 180-minute S-VHS tapes but I recommend avoiding them.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Thanks Matt. Has the best price on D-VHS Cleaning tape as well.

Also...about the MAX DF-300A tape...how many minutes can I record via firewire with this tape?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Super!!! Has everyone had pretty good luck with the Maxell tapes?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Maxell tapes are a-OK. Just avoid the Panasonics. I know some have no issues with them, but so many of us have had nothing but trouble with them that you are best off avoiding.

JVC's D-Theater tapes are also great.

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
Depends on the DVHS VCR-

I have the Panasonic PVHD1000 and the MIts 2000U-

The Panny doesn't like some JVC DF420's and Maxell SVHS tapes. It likes Fuji SVHS and Panasonic DVHS tape fine.

The Mits works with everything I have fed it, even tapes that have failed in the Panny have worked fine in the MIts!

I use the DF420 over and over for timeshifting. I have 3 I use here in rotation until I get around to watching them. Been using them for a year now with probably 30 passes on each.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Can you use regular (SVHS?) vcr tapes to record HD broadcasts?
Yes

·
Registered
434 Posts
Is using SVHS tapes reliable?

Do the tape times correspond to the HD recording times? i.e. Is a four hour SVHS tape good for four hours of HD recording?

I live in NJ and I have not found a nearby source for the DVHS tapes so I have to order them over the Internet and I always seem to run out when I really want to tape something!

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just remember for SVHS tapes the tape number is equal to the number of minutes of HD recording, for DVHS tapes the number is double. So a T-120 SVHS = 120 minutes of HD, a DF300 DVHS = 150 minutes, etc.

Bob H.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:
How reliable is using the SVHS tapes for HD recording? Are there any problems?
Bwooster,

I use the Fuji ST-120's and ST-160's and have had zero problems. I am using the 169time equipment & JVC30k to record also. I would look at tapewarehouse.com like mentioned above. They have the best prices. Locally I can't buy the Fuji's so I just make sure to order enough.

Mike

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I ran out of T120's this week and pulled some old SVHS T120's out of my collection (films I now have on DVD or HD) and re-used them for HS recorded HD films and they actually worked fine.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I used an SVHS tape and tried to make an HD recording from my 169time modified Proscan (DTC-100) sat box.

I got the following error message on the screen:

"Can not record digital input by SVHS/VHS

Choose analog input

[105]"

Has anyone gotten this to work?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bwooster, you have to press the "DVHS" button on the front of the deck, after you insert the SVHS tape, otherwise it won't allow you to record HD on the tape.

Marc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.