AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sony HD TV and Sony DVD recorder. I have no COX cable box. The DVDR only covers the analog channels so I have not been able to record the TV's digital channels. The recorder also has L1, L2, and L3 . I do not see a video output on the tv so am at a loss.

An suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
If you just want to record local HD channels from an off-air antenna, then take a look at this thread:

Echostar TR-50 HDTV DVR: Official Thread

If you want to record digital cable channels -- and not just locals -- then it is easiest to just get the HDTV DVR from your cable company. If you already have digital cable, this will cost you an extra $8 to $20/mo, depending on your cable company. The next step up from that would be a TivoHD, which replaces the cable company HDTV DVR; this costs $250 to buy, plus $12.99/mo or $129/yr.

If you have not used a modern DVR, you really owe it to yourself to try one. It is a major advancement over VCRs and DVD recorders.

A modern DVR will record two different HD channels simultaneously while you watch a third, previously recorded HD program. With DVRs, you don't have to wait until a program is finished recording to start watching; you can watch a recording-in-progress from the beginning, skipping commercials until you catch up to live. If you want to finish watching a recording at a later date, the DVR will remember where you left off and give you the option to resume.

Modern DVRs can pause and rewind live programming; you can pause one channel, switch to another, pause that, and then switch back and resume the previous channel from where you paused, skipping any commercials. This is great for watching two sporting events at the same time.

Modern DVRs do all the scheduling for you, so you identify your favorite news, series, and sports and they are recorded regardless of date and time -- no timers to set or check. Modern DVRs can record just new episodes and ignore repeat (old) episodes, with multiple episodes of the same program organized into folders.

Modern DVRs also give you a button on the remote to skip commercials, making it easy to watch most half-hour programs in 20 minutes and one-hour programs in 40 minutes. If you watch an average of two hours of television per day, a modern DVR will save you almost 250 hours per year in commercial viewing. How much do you value an hour of your time?

All your news, sports, and series is accessible with one touch of the remote

Record options available for every recording

In case you were wondering -- no, a modern DVR won't make you a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help.

I'm too far from LA for antenna use. I did subscribe to Cox Digital and my SONY DVDR allowed me to use any channel it found. But I dropped the service. I found I was still using Turner Classic Movies on analog.

MY Sony recorder has VCR Plus, so would rather keep it and lose a few digital channels to record.

Bill

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billroddy /forum/post/12857372

MY Sony recorder has VCR Plus, so would rather keep it and lose a few digital channels to record.

All modern DVRs have programming guides too. VCR Plus! is basically an ultra "Lite" version of what you get with a DVR.

Screenshot of Dish DVR guide

If you really want a DVD recorder, there are now DVD recorders with QAM. They just won't record high-definition. They downconvert to SD.

A DVR is your only option if you want high-definition playback to take full advantage of your Sony HDTV.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billroddy /forum/post/12857372

Thank you for the help.

I'm too far from LA for antenna use. I did subscribe to Cox Digital and my SONY DVDR allowed me to use any channel it found. But I dropped the service. I found I was still using Turner Classic Movies on analog.

Bill

Actually some people in San Diego get LA stations via an antenna. They need a big rooftop antenna. In Mission Viejo you should be able to get LA stations. If your topography is good maybe even a set top antenna will do.

Rick R

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Check at antennaweb.org with your street address and see what OTA channels it says you can get.

How are you now receiving digital channels with your TV since you don't have a digital cable box or an antenna? Or are you referring only to unencrypted QAM channels from your cable or does you TV have a cable card?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts