AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get a feel for the current state of things in the "record to PC" world of HDTV. I currently archive DVD's to WM9/AC3, and I have a couple hundred titles. It's working out pretty well for me. These are big files, I usually end up around 2Mbit/sec for DVD's.

I have an HDTV (Panny 47") with an HTPC hooked up to it, and I have a DTC100 for my satellite stuff. I love watching HD on my set, but the "waiting around for it to come on" gets really old. I don't have time for that. I'd love to be able to cap the HD to my PC somehow, but I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the 169Time gear. Alot of people seem to report breakups and problems. I absolutely will not buy any sort of tape player. If I can't capture to the computer, I will just wait until I can.

Whats the current state of capture equipment, either 169Time or otherwise, which can capture the mpeg2 streams directly to the PC? Does the 169Time gear do better when a tape transport isn't involved?

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Dylan,

I have captured DirecTV to PC with the 169time/avx-1 product and I have posted some of my results in a few threads recently. There are many different software/hardware configurations to try for recording and playback, and some work better than others. I have not settled on any particular combination for PC recording at this point, but it’s been fun experimenting.

I believe that a JVC deck is an essential part of the mix for its decoding capabilities of avx-1 streams today, even if you wish to record to the hard disk. The Fusion software decoder, appears to work well to decode avx-1 streams, but I have only tried the demo. Please post your results if you purchase a 169time system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.