AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I last had DirecTV about 4 years ago. At that time in order to record something you had to record channel 3 and keep the DSS receiver on the channel you wanted to record. You were not able to watch another program while recording a different channel. You also couldn't pre-program more than one channel if you were not going to be home to change the DSS channel.

Is DirecTV still lke this? I plan on getting DirecTV back in January and connecting it to 3 TV's. I don't know of any VCR's on the market that contain a DSS receiver built in.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide me.

Larry

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, you still can only record the channel the receiver is currently tuned to (only a DirecTV receiver with built-in Tivo and two connections from the dish can record a different channel). However, all current receivers provide a large number of timers you can set days in advance (or M-F, or weekly, or whatever) which will automatically turn the receiver on and change to the right channel, and can even automatically turn your VCR on and off if you use the IR blaster cable (and the receiver has the right codes for your VCR).

And all but the most basic D* receivers have two sets of composite outputs, so you can plug the receiver directly into the VCR's video input and get a better recording than if you use the coax connections.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
You might wat to strongly consider a DirecTiVo PVR, if you casn find any or a Series 2 DirecTiVo when they come out (if they're not out yet). You can watch one channel while recording another or record two channles at once, something a VCR can't do. Monthly TiVo fee is $5 or nothing if you subscribe to Total Choice Premier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

I really wasn't looking to do the whole Tivo thing. I am switching back to DirecTV from cable to save $$$, not spend even more. :(

Maybe in a year I will look into upgrading the boxes to the ones with Tivo built in. The biggest downside to me with Tivo though is not being able to borrow tapes from someone, or can I transfer a Tivo recorded movie/show to tape easily?

Thanks for the input.

Larry

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
can I transfer a Tivo recorded movie/show to tape easily?
Very easy. I use the "Save to VCR" menu option for archiving shows all of the time.

-Robert

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Robert! Can I only purchase the Tivo equipped DirecTV receivers at a store, or can I get it through some of these 2 free room install plans that are around now?

I guess I really just need to call DirecTV up and see what all of this is going to cost. lol

Oh, how simple is it to operate the Tivo? About as easy as a VCR to program? My Mom is always hesitant about new electronic toys I decide to hookup. She is about to get a major electronic shock next week once everything is connected with my new equipment! lol Also in the middle of programming my Pronto TSU2000. :)

Thanks.

Larry

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Oh, how simple is it to operate the Tivo? About as easy as a VCR to program?
My wife can't program our VCR. I showed her once how to set up a Season Pass and how to set priorities in the Season Pass Manager one time and she got it. Last week we had a lesson on searching by key word. She would rather watch through Tivo than live hi-def TV.

Quote:
I guess I really just need to call DirecTV up and see what all of this is going to cost.
Go to AVS's sister site Tivo Community and look in the DirecTV section. Current deals are always being posted. Read the sticky FAQ's first. That will answer a lot of questions.

-Robert

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Robert. :)

Like I said I am just looking into doing this again. I just got my new Boston 9000II sat. speakers and sub. They will be getting installed the next two nights and this weekend. I am expecting my Outlaw 1050 receiver Monday/Tuesday so I need to hook that up as well. I got my new Sony 32" flat screen a few weeks ago . . . now I am in the process of hooking it all together and programming my Pronto. My Mom wants to kill me with everything, but she is enjoying the picture! :)

We are both sick and tired of Cablevision and the rates are going up Jan 7 by 6.5% . . . so I am planning on dumping them around then as well. Just trying to get everything all figured out before spending the money on 2 new systems and integrating my original RCA DSS box into the mix in my bedroom, unless they take old boxes and old cards on trade somehow. :)

Larry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Larry,

just my 2 cents...

I bought a DirectTivo about a year ago, and never regretted spending the money. Not only do we catch every episode of regular series, whenever we want to watch, but we can keep watching pay per view movies for as many times as we want.

To my surprise, my wife actually asked me if we should buy another for the bedroom. YEEOWW!!

Scott

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Larry, there are many posts that explain the full capabilities of a DirecTV PVR powered by TiVo (a.k.a., DirecTV with TiVo and DirecTiVo). The FAQ summary in the DirecTV with TiVo area of the TiVoCommunity.com forum is very good.

I just thought I would mention here that the DirecTiVo will also record and playback Dolby Digital 5.1 sound from the premium and pay-per-view movie channels that provide DD 5.1.

Also, in all major metro areas and many smaller areas, DirecTV now provides all network and many independent local channels. So the DirecTiVo can be your primary time-shifting tool with the easy capability of archiving to video tape when you want to.

DirecTiVo receivers alone cost $200 and are available in some new customer package deals, not for free, but for some package discounts. These are typically provided exclusively to new DirectV customers. If DirecTV still has record of your prior account with them they may not consider you a new customer. Using a different telephone number from your old one may help keeping you from being associated with your prior service. Many folks have used their cell phone number to set up their new account, even though the receivers dial in from a different number.

You really should seriously consider at least one DirecTiVo receiver with your initial setup. Once you have one, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. It is MUCH easier to use than a VCR and it records the digital satellite signal directly, so the recording quality is far better than even the best S-VHS recording.

Keep in mind that the sales folks at most stores (BB and CC) have little or no knowledge of how a DIrecTiVo works, whether ot not they admit it. If you have questions, go to the TiVoCommunity forum. Don't trust any answers from the sales folks.

If you are like most of us, once you have TiVo you wil never turn back. My wife hated our newest VCR (unfriendly user interface for programming recordings) but has a commanding knowledge of the use and management of her DirecTiVo.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I am surprised no one mentioned the fact that there are many VCRs that can control the sat. receiver so that it turns itself to the right station at the correct time. JVC does this the best.

For less than $150 you can get a low end JVC SVHS VCR that is fairly easy to program. If you tell it to record any channel number over 100, it knows that the source is a sat. recvr. At the appointed time it tells itself to take the input from the sat. recvr. and sends an IR signal down a wire with an IR emitter at the end and signals the sat. recvr. to change to the channel you want.

You can set the VCR to record a mixture of cable and multiple sat. programs. Has worked flawlessly for us for years.

Other VCR makers claim to be able to control sat. recvrs (or cable boxes) - but most of them require you to position the VCR and sat. recvr. in particular positions in relationship to each other.

We have two JVCs - one hooked together with DTV and another with BEV (identical to DISH sat. recvrs.)

...mike

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My Philips SVHS VCR also has something like that, they call it DBS Link, I think. But not as advanced. But between the IR blaster on my 508 and and on my VCR, they were used a grand total of twice, to just do a test.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
JVC SVHS VCR's have feature called REC-LINK. With this, you have no need for IR blasters or emitters. You use the built-in timers of the Satellite, once set, turn off the receiver. Now all you do press REC-LINK on the VCR, it goes off, when the SAT comes on, the VCR comes on and starts recording. When SAT turns itself off, VCR goes off. What tiggers the VCR to come on and start recording, is the signal from the receivers output hitting the vcr's inputs. Then the lack of the signal shuts it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.