AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Philips DSX5353R receiver. I didn't really chose it, it came in a package from the guy who installed the whole system (three 5353s. one DirecTivo, an oval dish, and a 5 x 8 switch). I want to record some shows on the VCR. Actually, my wife does, so she can play the tapes in other rooms. Right now it works, but you have to set the channel on the receiver ahead of time, and make sure you leave it there. And, of course, you can't record a second program on a different channel. I figured I would just go buy a VCR (they are pretty cheap and mine are pretty old) with a cable mouse. I bought the Sony N99. Of course, it only supports a cable mouse, it doesn't come in the box. You have to mail order it. I did so. It arrived, but when I went to set it up, I found that Sony does not provide a code for the Philips receiver. They list Philips cable boxes and other peoples satellite receivers, but not Philips. I called Sony and they said it is based on a chip in the VCR. If the receiver is not on the list, then the Sony will never support it. I called Philips to find out who makes their receiver to see if I can use someone else's codes, but they claim it is made by Philips. They also kept referring me to 800 numbers which turn out to be DirecTV, who, of course, are no help. Does anyone know if there is a VCR that can control this receiver? I know I can record on the DirecTivo and save to tape, but I wanted to use the old fashioned method and save a step.

Robb

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Philips is fairly new in the DirecTV business, the used to 'make' (in quotes since Dish Net Philips recievers were actually made by Dish but a Philips nameplate on it) satellite recievers for Dish Network, but then turned to DirecTV. Philips DirecTV recievers are made by Philips. Okay, now heres the mosy likely reason for your problem. Sony has a history of only allowing codes for satellite recievers of manufactures who also make DirecTV recievers, ie, RCA, Hughes, Panny, Mits. My guess is that the VCR was made before Philips switched to DirecTV or after they switched but before codes were developed. To be sure of this do you see, 'JVC', 'Echostar' or 'Bell' in the manual under Sat codes?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

The Satellite receivers that are listed are Sony, Echo Star, HTS, Hughes Network Systems, Panasonic, and RCA. According to Sony, that information is built into a chip inside the VCR, therefore, those are the only receivers this VCR will ever support. I could still exchange this VCR for another if I knew one that would control my Philips receiver, but that information is very hard to find.

Robb

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can program the 5353 or any philips model to change channels by it self. simply find the program in the channel guide and press OK. you will be given the option to "TAG" a show for single, daily, weekly or mon-fri. simply leave the unit on and program your VCR to come on ane record ch. 3 or 4 which ever you use. The 5353 will change channels for every "tagged" show you have.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Todd,

I had already looked into that and I wish what you are saying were so, but unless I am doing something wrong, on the 5353 receiver when you "tag" a show that is coming on later, it puts up a reminder a few minutes before the start asking if you want to change the channel to that show. If you are not there to click on "Yes," then nothing happens. The channel does not change.

Robb

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same model receiver. You are right about the TAG feature, it just puts a reminder on the screen 3 minutes before start time, and if you dont acknowledge it, nothing happens. Here is what I do to record. (I dont have Tivo, yet)

I have everything going through my A/V receiver (Kenwood VR-509).

I use composite (RCA) cables.

My VCR out goes to my 509 video 1 in. VCR in goes to 509 video out.

My 5353 out goes to 509 video 2 in.

509 monitor out goes to my tv.

I turn on the a/v receiver to Video 2(where the 5353 inputs) and use the programming feature on my VCR to set the time to record. I set the VCR channel to "Line 1." I then set the 5353 to whichever channel I want to record. I leave the TV off, and everything comes out perfect.

Don't know if this helps, or makes sense.

Jason

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jason,

Thanks for the reply. What you are doing, setting the channel ahead of time on the receiver, is what I am doing now. It works. However, if you watch something on that TV before the recording starts, you have to remember to change it back to the correct channel. Additionally, if you want to record two shows that are on different channels, then you are out of luck. I am just trying to do what you were always able to do on VCRs when the tuner was inside. I am still hoping that someone will respond telling me about an alternate VCR that will control (change the channel) on the Philips 5353.

Robb

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 5353 doesn't have the capability of being controlled by a VCR. I was reading the Manual for the 5353, and it shows that you need the next model up (5357??) to have VCR control. That model actually has a cord that runs to the VCR that allows it to change the Receiver's channel. Check out the owners manual.

Jason

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jason,

Yes, I saw that in the manual, as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't help because this is the model I have and it (actually 3 of them plus a DTivo) were all part of a package so I can't upgrade. In any case, that doesn't preclude someone making a VCR that can control the receiver with a cable mouse. If a remote can change the channel, then a cable mouse can, since it works in an identical way. The trick is that the VCR needs to know the frequency that the remote works on. Because the 5353 is relatively new, VCR manufacturers haven't included it yet.

Robb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.