AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and I have a problem I was wondering if someone could help me with. I have some audio cassette tapes that I need to put on CD and I need come advice on how to do it. I have a new HP computer that has two cd drives one of which is a burner. My stero has only one set of outputs for Video(Aux) so I'm not sure how I can connect this to anything so I can download this cassette to my computer and burn a CD that way. I also picked up an ADS Tech DVD Express converter to also download some VHS video tapes I have onto DVD. Can I use this with a different cassette deck to download this cassette onto my computer?

What ever advice anybody can give I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I connect my cassette player directly to the line input of my sound card. I record the entire side of a cassette as a single file using CoolEdit2000. I'll then use the editing features of the program to break each song into it's own file. Repeat for side 2. Then I burn a CD using Nero. If you have any hiss, noise, etc. on your recording, CE has some neat filters/EQ that you can apply.

-Robert

·
Registered
63 Posts
My "technique" is very similar to rlj5242's. Cool Edit is a great piece of software for doing this very thing.

Your connection options depend on what's on the casette player and what's on your computer. Whether it be RCA or phono plugs, etc...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Typically, for most, the easily way beside deciding on what program to use is to connect your stereo using a stearo rca (from stereo) to phono plugs (to computer line-in) cable, which can be had at either Radio Shack or anywhere else. Also make sure that you un-mute the Line-In as some computer have that setting muted by default.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
of course the easiest way to burn from cassette to cd is to have a free standing cd recorder in your rack......

works just like any other recorder..... push play on your cassette and push record on the cd recorder.......

IMHO.... i can make better copies via this recorder than by using my computer.....

cheers!

:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll second the CD recorder option definitely the way to go.

Actully if you search some of the computer sites there are several USB devices out there that will let you plug in line level stereo inputs if your sound card does not allow for it.

Of course if you have lots of tapes there is actually a cassette player/recorder that will fit into an open bay on your PC.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/cables/6908/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.