AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched this forum for "camcorder", but did not find exactly what I was looking for and I am not sure this is the proper forum for this but here goes:

I have a Sony TRV-27. I would like to record from tape to DVD via a Sony DVD burner on my pc. All I have is USB. Because I have recorded various shows from my Replay TV I have Ulead Movie Factory 2, Womble, Sonic MYDVD. I have been able to record to DVD, but it is very low quality. Is this because of the USB? the quality of the camcorder? The editing software?

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. If it should be somewhere else let me know.

thanks

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Husker,

The first thing I would check is the settings on the software to make sure your capture resolution is set to something high. 720X480 or 640X480 AVI (which is uncompressed and relatively lossless) fullscreen, in general offers the best. I'm not sure what capabilites the software you're using offers but the manual for you camcorder says that you should be using Pixela Imagemixer 1.0.

Other than that make sure that if you have to save your work that you save it in the editor's lossless format or AVI. That way you won't lose resolution every time you go to do editing on it. I'd save the MPEG2 conversion till the last step for the DVD burn process.

That's the main thing, other than that, I'd recommend getting a firewire input on your PC it's faster and a little more flexible.

Troy

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have the same camcorder and tried capturing via USB and had nothing but problems. Video was horrible and lots of dropped frames.

I put a firewire card in and was able to capture perfectly. You should capture in AVI format (not MPEG2).

Heres the procedure I use:

I capture in AVI mode via Uleads VideoStudio 6. I also do the editting with this package.

I use Ulead DVD Workshop to encode the recordings to MPEG2 (DVD compliant). VideoStudio also will encode, but it only supports MP2 audio (not sure about the newer version 7). Workshop supports PCM and optionally AC3 which makes your DVDs more compliant with stand alone players. I also burn with Workshop. Quality is pretty good. A little grainy in darker scenes.

Workshop is a little expensive. But VideoStudio is fairly cheap.

I believe that Movie Factory 2 will capture from a camcorder. Its editting capabilities are limited. Not sure about its encoding capabilities. So you may want to search around for some software that will meet your needs if what you have is insufficient.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I went and invested in a $40 monster cable firewire cable today and just burned a DVD from captured video using Ulead Movie Factory 2 and it turned out awesome! I think my biggest problem was using Sony's bundled software (Pixela). Tonight was a very slow process, though. Took 1 hour to capture to hard drive and another 2 1/2 hours to render and burn using MF. Movie Factory would not let me capture and burn right to disc.

Oh well, it got the job done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.