AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently begun to build an HTPC and am finding this site very helpful. I have connected my Pentium III via an ATI 8500 (with HDTV dongle) to my Sony GWII with great success.

I am interested in getting an ATI AIW 9600 to setup a PVR but am not sure whether I will be able to record from DirecTV.

How can I do this?

How will the computer be able to get the satellite receiver to turn on at a specific time and change to a specific channel.

Is there any hardware that you recommend I buy to do this (WinTV)?

Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Get WinTV PVR 250 and SageTV if you want a PVR. As for changing channels SageTV can either do it via an IR blaster such as the USB-UIRT or via serial depending on you STB. You'd connect the STB to the 250 via S-Video.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Better yet, just buy a direcTivo. It's under a hundred dollars, the user interface is great, the image is stored unaltered from the satellite feed, so that playback is as clear and sharp as live TV. Plus you can run TyTools to extract the shows off your Tivo and burn them to DVD, also without having to decode/encode the image. I just got the last part working, and you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers. I've tried the video capture method to recording directv, and it doesn't hold a candle to TyTools.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pukerat
Better yet, just buy a direcTivo. It's under a hundred dollars, the user interface is great, the image is stored unaltered from the satellite feed, so that playback is as clear and sharp as live TV. Plus you can run TyTools to extract the shows off your Tivo and burn them to DVD, also without having to decode/encode the image. I just got the last part working, and you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers. I've tried the video capture method to recording directv, and it doesn't hold a candle to TyTools.
much agreed. i'm in the same camp as you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Interesting... I have a Sony DirecTiVo unit and I just built my HTPC this weekend (3Ghz P4 / 1GB PC-3200). I also have a Sony GWII (50XBR800). I made my first DVD last night; the first two episodes of Sex and the City, final season. I recorded to the ATI All In Wonder 9800 Pro via composite video. I'd love to just pull the files off the TiVo instead!! I can't imagine how TyTools could do this without some TiVo tweaks (or removing the HD), but I'm off to look into it now

My plan was to have the PC-PVR software just record my DirecTiVo output (the DirecTiVo would be changing the channels itself.) Essentially, I’d have the file in two places, my HTPC’s hard drive and my TiVo. I don’t plan to archive a lot of stuff, just the stuff I would have been saving off to tape form my TiVo. I can’t seem to figure out how to tell the PVR software that came with the ATI card to use the video in and not the built in TV tuner for its video input. There’s got to be a way, I just haven’t search around for it yet.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I have SageTV use serial control of my RCA DirecTV unit to change channels to whatever it needs to record, with signal coming in through the PVR-250. Supported out of the box - no muss no fuss.

DirecTivo is fine, but there'll always be that monthly fee. Plus it's yet another UI for someone to learn, another box to have laying around. If it's only you, that's another story, but for me i have my wife/kid/etc, and they'd just as soon have a single integrated UI for TV, movies, music, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.