AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has been recoding programs on her DVD Recorder from her Cable DVR for a couple of years now. To date she has been successfully recording full screen from HD channels.

The output from the DVR is RGB, into an RGB component selector box, from which an S-Video output goes to the DVD-R.

Lately, she has noticed that some movies recorded from HD channels have been recorded with black bars and more importantly, with a color loss, mostly black & white with an occasional flash of a bold color like a red dress, etc. -*obviously not present on the broadcast off the DVR.

Does this have something to do with some kind of newly implemented DRM on the HD channels? Or is it another problem?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 /forum/post/16985794

My mom has been recoding programs on her DVD Recorder from her Cable DVR for a couple of years now. To date she has been successfully recording full screen from HD channels.

The output from the DVR is RGB, into an RGB component selector box, from which an S-Video output goes to the DVD-R.

Lately, she has noticed that some movies recorded from HD channels have been recorded with black bars and more importantly, with a color loss, mostly black & white with an occasional flash of a bold color like a red dress, etc. –*obviously not present on the broadcast off the DVR.

Does this have something to do with some kind of newly implemented DRM on the HD channels? Or is it another problem?

Is she using a Pelican System Selector PL970? The Pelican is seen at the bottom in the photo. (The front panel labels do not describe the actual connections, the 1, 2, 3 and 4 labels near the buttons do.) I also use a Philips AV-Select (seen at the top). The Pelican has component, composite, S-Video and networking inputs and outputs. The Philips has composite and S-Video inputs and outputs.

With time the Pelican has developed an annoying weakness with one setting. The Pelican is not my main source for regular viewing, otherwise I would replace it with something else.

Here is my current switching implementation:

Pelican System Selector:

1. Panasonic DMR-EZ17 (composite)

2. Panasonic DMR-EZ28 (composite)

3. Magnavox 2160 #1 (composite, plus a direct component connection from the Magnavox to the TV)

4. acquires feed from Philips AV-Select

Philips AV-Select:

1. Magnavox 2160 #2 (composite and S-Video)

2. Sony DVP-NS57P (DVD Player) (composite)

3. Philips 3576 (composite)

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 /forum/post/16985794

Lately, she has noticed that some movies recorded from HD channels have been recorded with black bars and more importantly,

Also worth noting is that even recording an anamorphic signal will produce black bars on top and bottom, if the aspect ratio of the film is 2.35:1, or 1.85:1. It seems that they zoom most 1.85:1 films to fill the HD 16x9 aspect ratio, so one rarely sees very thin top and bottom bars, but the 2.35:1 bars are pretty common. Of course, that does not account for the color problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts