AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
The 5000 modulator outputs an HDTV signal on channel 3 or 4 just as though your local over-the-air broadcaster has done so.

So you take it from there. How could you record such a signal? Many of us have Panasonic STB and DVHS records.

You'll notice there's another forum area for HD Recording.

------------------

Stan Z

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
The modulator output is presented on an "F" connector like most TV equipment uses for antenna input/output.

The signal is ATSC/8VSB with MPEG2 digital HDTV data so you would need an HDTV receiver to decode the signal for your display device. Recording equipment tends to store the whole ATSC data stream and it doesn't get decoded until it is actually played.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I retired my 5000w/modulator when I replaced it with the 6000. I was about to put the 5000 up for sale when I began reading that there is a way to record HD from it. My questions are, what type recorder would I need and then how to hook up recorder to my Mits xx903?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Rayman,

There are two primary ways to record from a 5000/Modulator combo:

1. Using PC card HDTV tuners/recorders (HiPix, AccessDTV, WinTV-HD)

2. Using Panasonic STB/D-VHS recorder combo.

PC cards are nice in that they are available, relatively inexpensive ($400 range), and very flexible. The Panasonic combo is more user friendly (like a regular VCR), but is out of production. Also, the Panasonic combo units will run you $3000 average these days.

I recommend going with a PC based recording solution. The only real downside is the cost of media. Each movie takes on average 15GB. With the DVSpoof tool, however, you can back up the movies to Hi8 or MiniDV tape.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.