AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share my exerience since I did not find much conversation on this exact topic before I made purchases.

I receive HD cable from Adelphia via an SA8300HD. Via the component out of the box you can get an anamorphic 720 by 480 interlaced signal by choosing 480i Wide on the settings menu (SARA Software) This is not available via the S-Video output of the box which is letterboxed and approx 720 by 360 of program. I feed this to my ADS Tech A/V Link and capture using any dv capture program. I believe this box ignores all macrovision and CGMS copy flags. I then use Avisynth to deinterlace the video with TomMoComp and encode with the latest Quenc freeware encoder. I tried encoding the interlaced DV avi file with Canopus Procoder 2 but my DVD player (Sony DVPNS70H over HDMI) looks much better with the source file deinterlaced. On my P4 2.8 machine I can encode at 28 to 30 fps single pass with QuEnc and the resulting DVD looks tremendous on a Infocus projector or 37" LCD.

I also have a Dvico Fusion 3 Gold and with latest software it works and looks great but software reencodes of .tp files to DVD are slow and a/v sync can be problematic. I have successfully burned 1 hour hdtv shows (cuts edited with HDTVtoMpeg) to dual layer DVDs and the playback is "just like" the original broadcast but you are limited to a htpc playback only.

Until a pc to accept the Aja Xena PCI Express comes way down in price or someone offers a component in - HDV or ATSC capture card in PCI form factor I'll go with what I've got.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Nice. I've found authoring DVDs from HDTV isn't so hard, just takes some CPU power and patience.

I record HD programs using my ATI HDTV Wonder, then export those files to "DVD High" which puts them into MPEG-2.

Then, I take these mpeg2 files and encode them into .TS folders which then can be burned to dual layer DVD using Nero.

The picture quality is excellent, and the sound ends up in stereo, which is fine for me.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn
Nice. I've found authoring DVDs from HDTV isn't so hard, just takes some CPU power and patience.

I record HD programs using my ATI HDTV Wonder, then export those files to "DVD High" which puts them into MPEG-2.

Then, I take these mpeg2 files and encode them into .TS folders which then can be burned to dual layer DVD using Nero.

The picture quality is excellent, and the sound ends up in stereo, which is fine for me.

My FTA DVB does records HDTV in MPEG2. I'm trying to figure out how to convert the files to 480p DVD standard for playback in a regular DVD player. How do you encode to .ts folders?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.