AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the programming board, someone in Texas reports that a local UPN affiliate has started rebroadcating the HD.net programming.

That's good news! Soon we'll be able to record/time shift HD.net programming IF one of your local stations decide to carry it.

So no more need for DTC-100 modification for satellite recordings. HBO/Showtime is already recordable.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
This is a direct result of the recent announcement from Mark Cuban, that he will begin to offer HD programming to local stations and cable for free air rights to proliferate HDTV. I don't have the reference link to give you but I'm sure someone here knows it. I sent that offer to our local WJXT programming director in case they were interested because they have HDTV capability now and are looking for it. We may also get this as well. One thing though- This will not be the HDNet channel as it airs on DirecTV because it is my understanding that Mark does not have the redistribution rights on all his HDNet programming. This is why he must fire up another channel for cable and other mso offerings. Some HDNet airings are under a DirecTV license and that is the primary reason Mark is on DirecTV in the first place.

To get anything on HDNet you will still need the 169Time product as it stands now.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yep, I am starting my collection of tapes that I think are pretty good.

Jiln, I sure hope the 5000 doesnt get turned off. And even if it doesnt, its still a grand if you can find a setup.

dave

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have nothing against your product... and might buy it if not for the price being so high.

i'm not afraid to confess that I've made a bundle buying off all the available Panasonic setup boxes and HD receivers at local Goodguys and Circuit City a year ago... and a couple of DISH modulator's for twice of my cost :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
Yep, I am starting my collection of tapes that I think are pretty good.

Jiln, I sure hope the 5000 doesnt get turned off. And even if it doesnt, its still a grand if you can find a setup.

dave
lots of them on ebay right now, and they're getting cheaper every day as more people find out that JVC plans to release an STB with built in dish tuner this fall.

bb

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987
But is anything on hdnet worth recording?

bb
Today, yes. After it is public domain? Who knows?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Whats nice about the 169time product, is anyone is the good old USA can get any HD sat signal for recording. There are still so few that can get even OTA. Glad we have competition. May the best products win. o)

dave

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You will know soon, very soon. The promise will be coming. Trust me.

:eek:)

I love being an engineer. Such a dry sense of humor.

dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987
But is anything on hdnet worth recording?

bb
All I have to say is HD Net Bikini Destinations: On Location with TheBikiniNetwork.com

Now if that's not worthy of recording I don't know what is. My personal favorite HD program currently running on HD Net :D

J.M.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
You can keep a recording of Bikini Destinations around for revival purposes in case of heart failure :) Of course, it may have also been the thing that caused the failure in the first place...

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlin

So no more need for DTC-100 modification for satellite recordings. HBO/Showtime is already recordable.
IF and I repeat if, Dish adopts the new modulation standard for HD channles, the 5000 would no longer be usable. So the 169time product is still very attractive. In tracking the progress here, it does seem more stable than the Panny combo.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
They clearly are more stable than my panasonic setup ever were. I see folks tweaking there panasonic stuff all the time to fix this or that.

I just use my dtc100's and jvc's. Never have to tweak them.

Dave

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Speaking of the Panny combo.. I've noticed that if I set my VCR to record movie a couple days from now while on vacation, most likely it will record black screen as the VCR is no longer communicating with the setup box since it has been on for a long time.

It seems I always have to reset the Tu-DST50 after it has been on for a long time. I have gone thru at least 4 of them.. they all have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
jlin- The unlocking of the Panny PVHD1000 and the DST50 has been the only stability issue I have seen with my stup here. Otherwise the system works flawlessly.

Granted, I have had very limited experience with my DTC-100 / HDVR100 - Mits recorder system but the stability issue with it has been the Mits needing to be set to sense that it is connected to the DTC-100. There are more gyrations I have to go through with it than the Panny. IT requires I select the local Digital station on antenna A to play back, select the 5000's modulator channel 3 on antenna B for record. then be sure the MIts switches and holds in D1 vs. L1 during that switch over. Maybe there is a better way but for now that's it. I haven't figured out how to record on timer yet with this. There are several problems others have describbed that I have not had time to test like shutting off and loosing connection between two timmer recordings, but I would not say the MIts and 169Time system is a piece of cake either.

IMO, none of this HDTV recording is without issues. It is a hobbyist's game yet, not a cut and dried system for the masses.

Many people have expressed desire to have the bikini destinations in their library. I would like to have some of the short HDNet aired misic videos and a couple of the travel series like Over Canada and Bond in my library. Bond is both eye and ear candy to me. I especially enjoy the editing and videography in Bond. I have already requested these of Mark Cuban and will purchase them if he makes them available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.