AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am considering a Samsung tuner that has a 1394 output port.

I presume that I can record the output on my PC, which has a firewire input port on an All-in-Wonder 8500dv card.

I'd then like to convert the downloaded data into something burnable onto a dvd - to be played in a

standard dvd player.

1. Is anyone doing something similar?

2. What protocols (e.g. the recorded, raw data is mpeg-2? The data for DVD would be mpeg-2, but reformatted somehow?) would each of the data pools be in, and what kind of software (read freeware) is available to effect the

conversions?

3. The Samsung apparently accepts 1394 input (it's presuming a vhs recorder); do I have to reformat the stored data before sending it back?

Thanks in advance, Roger

·
Registered
557 Posts
Not very likely. Over the air content using spectrum given for free to the broadcasters is now being treated as off limits to citizens. There is a standard called 5C which is supposed to be included with all devices that have firewire input and output. This uses public key cryptography and tamper resistant electronics to seal off compressed digital streams from the unwashed masses. Of course tamper resistant is not the same as tamper proof so it will be cracked but you'd be better off looking for an HDTV video recorder from Panasonic or Mitsubishi which will probably allow you to at least time shift most HDTV shows using D-VHS cassettes. However, "they" have ultimate control over the bits you store on the tape and even have the option to disable it for playback after a certain period or after one playing.

This capability would probably require the implementation of the "broadcast flag" which is a current issue before the FCC and I believe they just finished taking public comment. They haven't dotted all the I's or crossed all the T's but I'd say they have just about engineered the overturning of Sony vs Universal after almost twenty years. Your ability to record over the air signals how just about been rendered illegal and we still have to listen to the shills ranting and raving about "intellectual property" and "theft" while the Constitution is shredded by a mouse. Sorry about all the inside references.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.