AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What equipment (video tape, Ultimate TV, etc.) is required to record an HDTV broadcast at 1080i? If they can be recorded for later viewing at that resolution what is the cost of the media that has the capability to record it? I guess that if it's Ultimate TV then the hard drive is the media which is obviously almost infinitely reusable. Are some of these transmissions in conjunction with the tuners that receive these signals carrying some type of copy protection encoding that would prevent them from being recorded?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Currently, the only way to record HDTV using products currently in production is via cards that plug into a PC. These can acquire off-the-air programming only. The HiPix and accessDTV cards work well but configuring a computer system around them and your HD TV set is a very time consuming process (it had darn well better be a hobby.)

In addition to the HDTV recorders section, search the Home Theater Computers section for the keywords HiPix and accessDTV.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
What about the new DVD/RW drives that are now available as $599 dollar option for computers. Wouldn't a DVD-RW record up to 5.7 gigs of movies? So what if the discs are $10 each, that is still better than paying as much as $40 for a movie, if it's coming through on as a HBO PPV movie.

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
632 Posts
HDTV is 8GB/hr.

There is not a technical reason they can't hook up a DVD/RW drive to a HDTV tuner (there are policital problems with digital recordings of digital signals), but haven't seen any released yet.

You can use your computer with tuner card. I assume you can burn a DVD-R somehow.

BTW Panasonic used to sell a DVHS/STB combo that would record OTA and with the Dish 5000 and HDTV adapter can record HD-HBO and HD-SHO too. Hard to find and becoming expensive these days on eBay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hob:

That's news to me about the price of the DVD/RW. I thought that they were in the $1,000 range and that the blank media was about $30 per disk. The disk has about a 4.7 gig limit which probably means one side, one level not the eventual two side, two level 16+ gig capacity.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.