AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a little OT. I posted in the TIVO forums as well, but didn't get an answer so far.

I've got a Hughes E86 HDTV DirecTV receiver. I'm interested in adding a stand-alone Tivo2 to it. Assuming I leave the Hughes receiver in the 480i output mode, will Tivo be able to make standard definition recordings of the HD channels? Are channels like HBOHD (509) and HDNET(199) even listed in the Tivo channel guide? What about local digital channels with subchannels? Would Tivo be able to tune to channels like 4-1 or 7-2? Tuning to channel 4 is not sufficient, since channel 4 is the DirecTV local channel (which I don't subscribe to) and channel 4-1 is the local digital channel from the antenna.

Thanks,

Tomasz

UPDATE: There's been some enlightening discussion of this on the Tivo forum:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=111171

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The only way I can see to do it would be kind of cumbersome..........

Set the tivo for a timer recording for any channel(the SD channel would be best, as time of programing and title should be same), and then simply set the one-touch record or program reminder on the E86 for the HD channel.

You would need to move/unhook the IR dongle so tivo couldnt actually change the channel on the E86.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Not sure about TIVO, but I do this with ReplayTV. It will not select sub-channels, so it does require a workaround (HDNet, HBO-HD and SHO-HD work fine w/o a work-around). My work around is to program the ReplayTV as normal, but add 3 minutes padding to the start, then have the STB timer change to the OTA ATSC channel after the ReplyTV has already started recording.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, while these workarounds are viable alternatives, they have a very low WAF (Wife Approval Factor).

I'll be going ahead with my plans to build an IR translator into my HTPC as I described in the Tivo forum thread (see link above). AFAIK, this is the only way to get 100% transparent functionality.

Tomasz

·
Registered
552 Posts
It seems like a lot of work, and you are still screwed in that if you are watching something in HD, you can't record anything at all.

I think you and your wife would be far happier with either:

(a) subscribe to local channels via DirecTV, get a DirecTivo. (pros:

record 2 things at once, better quality on everything except perhaps the local channels, cheaper than standalone)

(b) get a 2nd, cheap DirecTV receiver to use as Tivo's slave (only if you can't get locals via DirecTV)

The only advantage of your scheme is you can record HD stuff downconverted to 16:9 480i. But being able to record or view something else while you watch HD I think is far more useful.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, except this IS my second HD receiver. I bought it specifically to feed HD channels to non-HD TVs in my house.

Sorry, but I refuse to pay DirecTV for highly compressed local channels when I can receive them for free in HD.

Tomasz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.