AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't pass this off as an ignorant question... please read!

Regarding those video inputs on the front and rear panels.

There MUST be an analog -> digital video converter in the system to capture images from the front/rear panel...

If that's true, what's keeping the system from recording video from say, a cable box or VCR to HD? And I don't mean recording to send in an email, I mean recording a program?

320x240 or whatever would be perfectly fine for NTSC signal recording (better than nothing), and it seems to me that all the pieces are there! The only issue is if the video capture hardware is fast enough to do it.

This issue should be raised with UTVInsider and MS! If the hardware is there to do video capturing for email, it's there for PVR use as well!

------------------

RCA UTV

3 Hughes Platinums

Oval dual LNB

Hitachi 53SWX01W 16x9 HDTV

HTPC (in progress)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know about UTV but a Dtivo can only record from direct TV because it has no mpeg encoders. It is more like you are downloading a movie when you record from Direct TV with it. I think UTV is like this as well.

------------------

WARNING: Contents will become angry and confused if exposed to intelligent thought.

[This message has been edited by unoriginal (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There must be some kind of video encoder on UTV for it to do screen grabs... it's a matter of whether or not it can do the *same* encoding needed for video.

------------------

RCA UTV

3 Hughes Platinums

Oval dual LNB

HTPC (in progress)

·
Registered
246 Posts
A screen grabber is NOT the same as a hardware video encoder.

------------------

Robert Aldrich

·
Registered
71 Posts

There is no ability to record any source other than the DirecTV satellite broadcast. There is no encoding capability in the receiver. That helps keep the cost down and the image quality up. Since DirecTV handles the encoding with an entire high end server farm, it is far superior to anything you could do in real time at a reasonable consumer price point. And since it is already digital, then it simply becomes a matter of moving files on and off of a hard drive - something that Microsoft has a bit of experience with. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

UTVinsider

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoots:
If that's true, what's keeping the system from recording video from say, a cable box or VCR to HD? And I don't mean recording to send in an email, I mean recording a program?
Because capturing a single low-res frame to include in an e-mail is much less work than capturing 30fps and encoding it in realtime to the hard drive.

The hardware requirements to to real-time MPEG2 encoding are much higher than those required to do a simple screen grab.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand the difference between a screen grab and encoding MPEG video. I've done plenty of MPEG encoding (to be burned on VCD after editing on a PC) from a digital video camera / firewire setup to be quite familiar with the advantage of hardware encoding.

It was just a thought, especially since you *can* do MPEG encoding in software.

Since I'm not familiar with what kind of processing power or flexibility the UTV O/S has, the possibility, to me, was there. I just suspected that it might be possible at a lower quality than DTV signals are encoded (since encoding would have to be done at a much lower quality level via fast software encoding).

------------------

RCA UTV

3 Hughes Platinums

Oval dual LNB

HTPC (in progress)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.