AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a Philips dvdr3576h and think it is great. I have a question on recording to a dvd. I had a home move that I copied just fine. The problem I have is that when I play the disc back it comes up with a screen that shows the movie in one box and a blank box in the other. The movie is 1 hr 45 min and the blank box is 15 min. I used the 2hr setting (SP setting) to record. If I select the movie it plays fine. The disk was finalized. How can I get only the movie on a disk?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the help. I tried this and it works, but now I only have one title screen that appears when load the disk. Is this normal or did I miss something? I opened the door and inserted the disk and pushed the play button on the machine(I did not close the door) and the same thing happened, one title screen appeared.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Not sure what you mean here... "one title screen"?

If you had a true title on the disc plus an "Empty Title" then overwrote and deleted the Empty Title, you'll be left with one title when viewing the Disc Menu (3rd button down from top left).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

That's what I have, one title screen. When I put in the disk from scratch, it comes up with this screen. I have to press play to get the video to start. Can this step be somehow deleted or do I have to always select it and push play?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
If you've used a Panny before you might be thinking about the "auto play" option. If you choose this option when you finalize the disc, if you just put the disc in a player it will not display the top menu and will go straight into the title. Personally I never use it but Wajo's trick by just pushing play should work on most all players, at least it would work on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply. I just got done reading alot of the posts you have on the recorder.Thank you for the post. I learned alot about the machine. I currently use -R disks, but need to buy more. It sounds like +R are the way to go.Is one better than the other? (I read the post on types) I want to get the Sony's (tiawan).The autoplay didn't work on my recorder (leave door open, hit play on remote) or on my portable player, it came up to the title screen so maybe the change of disks will help.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
I think I left out a sentence in that post on auto-play... on re-reading it, I think my tests showed +R would reliably auto-play, and that's why +R are mentioned in next sentence. Gotta do some more tests... drats!

Anyway, +R have a better design for burn quality but might have fewer FF and REW speeds on some machines, so the tradeoff is burn quality vs FF/REW speeds... hmmm... tough choice.

EDIT: Tested +R and -R...it's the +R that auto-play, and they have to be Finalized.

Also, this doesn't apply to PLAYERS, just the 3575/3576/2160 DVDRs... maybe others too!?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try some good quality disks next. Not sure who makes the few I have left (spin-x). I thought I heard years ago that the -R were most compatable with most players. Maybe that has changed. I probably will only play these disks in 2 other players, so whatever works on the Philips is the one I'll keep. Don't want to make junk copies! (bad for the landfills) Thank you again for the help. I'll try to post after I buy more disks. Maybe others might have a good suggestion on which type of disk to buy.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/15443573

Also, this doesn't apply to PLAYERS, just the 3575/3576/2160 DVDRs... maybe others too!?

Just pushing play on my Sony players will auto play both + and - discs but it sounds like this is a feature and not necessarily available on all brands of players/recorders.
upon further testing "auto play" on Sony players only works when the disc is in the state of "resume". That is if the disc was stopped during play and was then played at a future time. Hitting play on a disc that was not "resumed" only brought up the top menu. Sorry for the confusion. Personally the only time I auto play is in the case of a resume and I had just assumed it worked for new discs too. For new discs I like to see the menu.

·
Registered
897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwvideo /forum/post/15443665

I'll try some good quality disks next. Not sure who makes the few I have left (spin-x). I thought I heard years ago that the -R were most compatable with most players. Maybe that has changed. I probably will only play these disks in 2 other players, so whatever works on the Philips is the one I'll keep. Don't want to make junk copies! (bad for the landfills) Thank you again for the help. I'll try to post after I buy more disks. Maybe others might have a good suggestion on which type of disk to buy.

My limited experience is that -R is compatible with more DVD players but the Philips likes +R disks better. The newer the DVD player the more likely they are to work with either format.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.