Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am still kind of new to this, with alot of questions. But one of them I have is this. I have a Panasonic DMR-E80H, I was told by someone, that if I record to a DVD-R Disc, but do not finalize that disc, I still have the option to Edit, Add, and Record Entirely over the Disc If I needed to. I do not know if this is true. I was under the impression that all you could do with an UN-Finalized Disc, is continue to record to it, in the amout of space that is left on it. Could someone please let me know? Also, when making copies from a VCR to the E80 I was reading that it is better to use the Composite RCA Cables, so that the VHS Tape would pass through a filter and be cleaned up somewhat, but when Copying from a DVD Player to the E80H, it is better to use an S-Video Cable to the Input of the E80H, because digital signal is better passed through the S-Video input. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of these points?

Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
336 Posts
First question - You have those options on a DVD-RAM disc, but not on a DVD-R disc, even if it has not been finalized. You can only record more if there is space remaining.

Second question - You are correct about when to use Composite and when to use S-video.

John

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JMas
First question - You have those options on a DVD-RAM disc, but not on a DVD-R disc, even if it has not been finalized. You can only record more if there is space remaining.

Second question - You are correct about when to use Composite and when to use S-video.

John

Just to add that you can edit/delete stuff on an unfinalized DVD-R, but any space left by such deletion is not recoverable, since you can only record once on any portion.

duwdu

·
Registered
336 Posts
The only editing that I can think of that you can do on an unfinalized DVD-R would be with titles. You can also erase an entire program, but you still lose that disc space.

John

·
Registered
508 Posts
I use mine to record football games which I save only if my team wins. I see now the advantage of the model 80 over the 50. Now I am out a disc when we lose but if I had sprung for the 80, I could have recorded on the hard drive and transferred it to disc if we won. Do I have this right?

Dang.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
That's right. And when you record on a hard drive, you don't have to worry about a disc failure or how long the game runs. And you can edit out those long commercial breaks when you make the dub.

The hard drive is definately worth the extra cost, and the E80 is a better deal than the HS2 for most people.

John

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hhawk
I use mine to record football games which I save only if my team wins. I see now the advantage of the model 80 over the 50. Now I am out a disc when we lose but if I had sprung for the 80, I could have recorded on the hard drive and transferred it to disc if we won.
.. and that my friends is one of the best arguements FOR having a HD recorder I hever heard!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.