AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recording TV channels on DVD

367 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Coolmeister7 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum and new to DVD recorders have not purchased one yet but have decided to buy the Pioneer 220 from what I have read on this forum. I understand it is easy to use and that is what I need . My question is will I be able to record channels off of cable tv in the 500 -600 channel range with this recorder? Thanks in advance and I feel like I have learned a lot off of this forum

#2 ·
You must be talking about digital cable. You will need a recorder that can control a cable box. You will not be able to just plug in a cable and record directly on the machine.

(At one point, DVD recorders couldn't control cable boxes -- I think some do nowadays.)

#4 ·
I think the current generation (Pioneer 531/533/633, Panasonic EH50, Toshiba XS-34) systems with TVGOS come with an IR blaster which will change the channel of a digital cable box. Using it may cause problems for the EPG, though.

Remember that most digital cable boxes can be programmed separately to turn on and change the channel at a preset time. This means that your DVR doesn't have to actually control the cable box if you're willing to program both the DVR and the cable box separately when you want to record a show.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
You must be talking about digital cable. You will need a recorder that can control a cable box. You will not be able to just plug in a cable and record directly on the machine.

(At one point, DVD recorders couldn't control cable boxes -- I think some do nowadays.)
That's not necessarily true. In some cases (maybe in all cases?), it is possible to set timers in both the STB and the recorder, so that you can record whatever channel the STB is tuned to. This is the way I record off my STB, no IR blaster needed. Of course you must use manual recording in this case.

RG

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara
That's not necessarily true. In some cases (maybe in all cases?), it is possible to set timers in both the STB and the recorder, so that you can record whatever channel the STB is tuned to. This is the way I record off my STB, no IR blaster needed. Of course you must use manual recording in this case.

RG
You are correct. I record shows all the time this way. It's a manual record, but it works just won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.